1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Axle Issue- 1973 Dana

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 PM
BarryD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle Issue- 1973 Dana

Hi,
I have a snowplow rig that's running on what I believe is a 73 dodge 3/4 ton. I just replaced the front diff and pinion bearings and after I put the left front axle back in, it sticks out too far to put the cap on.... I can't figure out why.... The axle is pushed all the way into the tube as far as it can go until the back of the yoke is against the tube but the spline outside is still about an inch too long to install the cap,,,,, Please tell me what I have done... Thanks

As u can see, axle is all the way in

Old 07-28-2015, 05:34 PM
BarryD

The only thing I can figure is that the spindle on one side is longer than the other??,,,, it is the same shaft that came out and I'm sure it didn't grow an inch after I took it out ! Lol

Last edited by BarryD; 07-28-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 PM
BarryD

Well, looks like everyone was just as baffled as I was!,,, lol, However, I figured it out!,,, I tried placing all the parts back on the other side and that shaft was too short,,,,, Then I noticed that the center hub part of one drum was an inch longer than the other,,,,,, And upon closer inspection, I discovered that the longer one had a spacer between the drum and spline plate,,,, all fixed now!

Quick Reply: Front Axle Issue- 1973 Dana