1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

installing a 4wd front axle on an 85 2wd frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
dusterdude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a 4wd front axle on an 85 2wd frame

i have an 85 d150 with a 318,i also have a dana 44 front axle out of a mid 70`s w150.is the 85 frame the same as a 4wd frame in the respect i could buy the 4wd spring mounting stuff and bolt it to my frame then hang the front end under it.any answers are appreciated.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it can be done. The holes are in the frame for the 4wd components. Other things to consider; wheel bolt pattern, clearance for the transfer case/shifter. Also. must use grade 8 or better bolts preferably aircraft standard with aircraft locking nuts. The factory used rivits (which must be cut off the "donor vehicle". The 4wd drive has lift blocks on the rear springs on the spring perch. Be prepared for alot of negative comments to this idea. But it can be done.( I've done it a long time ago.)

Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you forgot to mention that the gears in the front must match the gears in the back or else it will not work. this is why it would be soo much easier to just buy a w150 since you are going to need a parts truck to get parts from anyway.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure, that is true but you can start on it any way, just leave the front shaft off til you find the correct rear. I would't go buy a vehicle if I didn't need it. Sure you could just go out and buy a 4x4 and sell the old. What I'm saying is that it is possible to convert a 2wd into a 4wd. There are lots of old dodge 4x4's in the salvage yards out here. You could just buy one part at a time if you were low on the money. I really didn't want a 4x4 when I was looking for mine but I got it now and I'm happy with it. However, if I were to change it to a 2wd it still would be possible to do that also.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
dusterdude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

groovy,thanks for the tips guys,as i am low on funds the piece together part is what i am probably going to do.

Quick Reply: installing a 4wd front axle on an 85 2wd frame