1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
pickerbush18
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem

Hi.
My W250 was sitting a few weeks and the passenger side rear brake somehow was stuck on which I did not know. I thought maybe the tires were stuck to the frozen to the ground. I tried to rock the truck. Now the truck will only go in reverse. Foward motion was very slow with excessive trans slipping. Will now not move forward at all now. Is there any adjustment I could try short of replacing the trans?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you check the trans fluid level?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
pickerbush18
Rookie

Yes, trans fluid is perfect and not showing any signs of being burnt

Old 01-31-2010, 03:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i was actualy refering to the fluid level not the condition of the fluid but the fluid not being burnt is good. you need to check the fluid level with your truck running while in neutral. the fluid level rises when you turn your truck off so it may apear like there is enough fluid but there is not.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
pickerbush18
Rookie

The fluid level is fine. I had checked it the last time I used the truck and checked it after running for a while yesterday because it has been near zero here in North Jersey. I thought maybe it was too cold. But even after running for a half hour still only has reverse.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is going to sound really stupid but I will bet your rear clutch has let go. The rear clutch is not used in reverse but instead is used in all forward gears. Go to this site and scroll down to the section labeled "The torqueflite in operation" and read the section on reverse operation.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-tom-hand.html

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM
pickerbush18
Rookie

Hi Seal
Thanks 4 sending me to this great article.I will read it tonite. I suppose if the rear clutch let go then i will need a trans. Would there be anything in the pan? I was thinking of taking it off to look inside. It is very cold out so I will wait till it warms up.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what you wrote this was not a wear out problem but a catastrophic one. In other words something broke. I doubt you will find anything in the pan but it never hurts to look as that is free.

Quick Reply: transmission problem