1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1984 Dodge D15 wont run.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
crusader9x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Dodge D15 wont run.

Hey,
First time posting here so bear with me please. Before I ask I did try to search so if it has been answered before I apologize.

I have a 1984 Dodge D15 that will only start but not run when gas is poured in the carburetor. When I first got the truck I would start it and let it run about once a week because it is not tagged atm. I continued this for a couple months till it shut off. I think it ran out of gas but I dont know as the gas gauge does not work.

Since then I have added a couple gallons to tank. I have disconnected the fuel filter and watched gas shot out of the pump. Also blew out the filter to make sure it wasnt clogged. So I am pretty sure the carburetor is getting gas.

It is a holley single barrel carb on top of a v8. I have held open the flap on top and looked into the carb while pulling the linkage but do not see any gas shooting into the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a Holley 1920, 1945, or 6145? Sounds like time for a carb rebuild. It might be a stuck inlet valve. You might try a couple of firm raps with the handle of a screw driver on top of the carb. Hit something solid so you don't break any parts and don't go berserk here. This might get it going until you can rebuild it. If it starts drop a can of Sea Foam in the tank and you may not even have to rebuild it. If it has a bowl vent tube you may be able to get some carb cleaner in that way or thru the fuel supply line.

Last edited by SEAL; 02-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
crusader9x

Found some numbers on the carburetor. If your standing in front of it looking over the radiator then the fuel line comes straight in the front of it. There is a horizontal surface just above that which says Holley. Just above that surface is a vertical one which had a sticker on it. The two numbers on the sticker: 4287 053. On the vertical surface the fuel line screws into, if you look to the right there were three sets of numbers: r 40093 42847053 327( couldnt quite make out the last one its either 3/9/8) so either 3273/3278/3279.

Is the fuel inlet valve you mentioned the piece the fuel line screwed into that in turn screws into the carburetor?

Do you know of any online schematics or breakdowns I can look at to help figure out carburetors? I grew up on fuel injection these carburetors are way to complicated for me.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a 2 barrel if factory; not a 1 barrel.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
crusader9x

The part the air cleaner sits on is just one circle 3-4 inches in diameter or so. Then it has one rectangular shaped flap. Looking past that big flap there are two separate barrels or runners down in it.

If this is a two barrel I am sorry. Never really had something that big where I literally had to crawl up in the engine bay like that.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
SEAL
Champion

It is a 2 barrel.

Last edited by SEAL; 02-01-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
SEAL
Champion

Forget the part numbers I posted. The 2 barrels at the bottom make it a 2 barrel with 1 common throat at the inlet. It will not have a bowl vent tube but everything else stands. I don't cross any of those numbers but if you call a parts dealer they may be able to cross those numbers to a rebuild kit and tell you what carb it is. No insult intended here but I would not really recommend you try to rebuild it with your level of knowledge.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
crusader9x

Well, cant believe I am going to say this, its kinda embarrassing. Turns out this thing has a huge gas tank on it. It has to be at least a 35 gallon tank. Long story short ended up having to put about 15 gallons in the tank to get the pump to pull fuel.

Quick Reply: 1984 Dodge D15 wont run.