1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Windshield wiper linkage problems 85 W150

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Pantherburn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper linkage problems 85 W150

Hello,

First post here!

I am the original owner of a 1985 W150 long wheel base 4X4 with the 318 cu in. engine. My truck has been bullet proof until just recently it seems I am having a lot of little problems - I guess old age will do that!

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could offer some guidance on helping me fix my windshield wipers. My windshield motor runs when I cut the switch on, but my wipers don't move. I can also manually move the wipers by hand by and they move in synch. I am assuming (I know...) there must be some stripped gears or linkage parts failures. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Links to / images of an exploded parts diagram would be fantastic! I appreciate your help on my behalf!

Regards,

Pantherburn

Old 12-24-2009, 04:36 PM
tooltime
Veteran

Hvae you checked the plastic bushing thing in the cowl? The pass wiper did not work and that was the reason why. It will be 3 if i remember and it is lets the arms move.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Pantherburn

Hey Tooltime,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I can check that. The arms are not binding as they move freely by hand and in synch. I can grab one and move it and the other arm that I am not touching moves along with it. I can also hear the wiper motor running. It's something that is broken between the motor output shaft and the connection to the actual wiper arms. I haven't pulled it apart yet and was hoping to go ahead and diagnose, locate and purchase the repair parts before taking it apart so that I would only have to dismantle once. How do the bushings relate to the whole wiper system?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Pantherburn

Old 12-25-2009, 01:42 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Most likely the plastic bushing came apart that holds the linkage to the motor.
If that is it it's best to replace all of them (3) at once and be done with it.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
racer9
Veteran
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Pantherburn

Charlie 1935 and racer9 - THANK YOU!

racer9 - that thread is awesome. Can't thank you enough for pointing me to it. I saw these bushings for sale at Roackauto.com, but couldn't figure out how they fit into the equation. Those images make it much clearer on how they function.

Regards,

Pantherburn

Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
mjm1988
Rookie

My 88 Dodge Ram D100 has 4 of those little plastic bushings - and, yes, replace ALL of them - it took a bit of doing. You'll need two of the "10 piece" kits, since each kit only had 2 bushings that fit my application.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
shortwide84
Professional

like they said replace all of them... replaced 1 then 3 weeks later had to take it apart again and replace the rest of them. if i was to do it again i would but some grease where the ball goes into the bushing because mine squeek quite a bit now. good luck!

edit: you can get them at most auto parts stores, i got mine at o'reilly

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper linkage problems 85 W150