DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech-63/)
-   -   Turn signal/brake light wiring from scratch (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/257488-turn-signal-brake-light-wiring-from-scratch.html)

CSXfan 08-19-2010 12:35 AM

Turn signal/brake light wiring from scratch

Hi all,
My '75 W200 project truck is in need of all new wiring. NONE of it is there. The only wires that are connected to anything are the sparkplug wires. Soooo...

I'm trying to find a cheap/easy way to rig up some turn signals and brake lights. I know there are kits I can buy but they're expensive. So what are my options? This will be a Michigan plow truck, so its doesn't need to pass any inspections, but it does need to work. Can someone point me in the right direction?

SEAL 08-19-2010 07:22 AM

You can get a wiring diagram from your local libraries computer for your vehicle. JC Whitney sells spools of wire and wire loom pretty cheap. With harsh winter use I would coat all splices exposed to the elements with 3M Scotchkote P/N 054007-43906.

CSXfan 08-19-2010 10:17 PM

I'm not looking to redo the stock wiring. I'd like to just mount a "on-off-on" toggle switch for the blinkers, but I'm not sure how to wire the running lights in with the brakes and the blinkers so they all work together, know what I mean? I'm talking seious ghetto rigging here, but I'm not sure where to start.

crazzywolfie 08-21-2010 04:53 AM

this is fairly simple. the turn signal light bulbs have 2 filaments. one is bright and one is dull. the dull ones is for marker lights when you are driving and the brighter ones are for the turn signals. all you need is a couple of on of switches and a 3 position switch for the turn signal. the flasher goes between the battery and 3 position. then 2 wires go from the 3 position switch, 1 to the right signal and 1 to the left signal. some how you will also have to tie these 2 wires into the brake switch.

CSXfan 08-21-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie (Post 2238608)
some how you will also have to tie these 2 wires into the brake switch.

And that's where I run into trouble. First of all, the brake switch doesn't work, and second, I have no clue how to wire it all together to work properly. Anyone have a wiring diagram I can look at?

crazzywolfie 08-21-2010 07:09 PM

i was looking at the brake light switch on rock auto and it looks like hooking up brake lights should be simple. there is 2 input and 2 output power connections. the only one that i think matter are the output ones that run to the brake light/ turn signals. the inputs should be able to share a power wire from the battery.

SEAL 08-22-2010 07:50 AM

CSXfan:
I am learning how to use my new scanner. The only way I know to get a wiring diagram to you is by e-mail. If you will PM me your email address I will try to e-mail the diagram.

CSXfan 08-22-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by SEAL (Post 2239639)
CSXfan:
I am learning how to use my new scanner. The only way I know to get a wiring diagram to you is by e-mail. If you will PM me your email address I will try to e-mail the diagram.

PM sent, thanks

i was looking at the brake light switch on rock auto and it looks like hooking up brake lights should be simple. there is 2 input and 2 output power connections. the only one that i think matter are the output ones that run to the brake light/ turn signals. the inputs should be able to share a power wire from the battery.
My problem is how to make the turn signals flash properly with the brakes applied. Every way I wire it it ends up making the brake lights flash all the time, or not at all. I must need some kind of relay but I don't know enough about how they work to know where to put it.

charlie1935 08-22-2010 09:39 AM

On original equipment the power for brake lights goes thru the turn signal switch. That where the right and left get separated. Plain old toggle switch ain't gonna do it.

SEAL 08-22-2010 10:10 AM

Here is a column mount turn signal switch that might help. There is a wiring diagram at this site.

http://www.vintage-planet.com/switch-5007r-upi.html