1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

82 dodged150 skips second gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
sabastianunf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 dodged150 skips second gear

Hello everyone - I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting this in the correct spot. I have just gotten an 82 dodge ram royal d150 running after sitting for quiet a while. Everything is running great after quit a few new parts. Right now I have 2 main problems I am trying to work out. THe transmission locks in well and pulls great but Ithink it skips sencond gear. I get on the throttle hard and run out first gear and it will go into what I think is 3rd gear good - shifts smooth and seems good. If I am not on the throttle hard it will not shift until rpms are pretty high then it boggs down and rpms drop a lot after it shifts. when i stop i can feel it down shift through all the gears just fine. I have been told there is a vaccum line that should run from the intake manifold to the transmission but I cant seem to find it. can anyone give me more info on this vaccum line or any other things that might be causing this problem. THanks for any input - I know very little about transmissions.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happens if you are going about 35-40, and floor it? How about at 25 or 30? Will it kick down into second, or do nothing, or only shift if its low enough to use first? Have you tried holding it in first, winding it out, shifting to second, winding it out some more, and then dropping it into drive?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anything about a transmission vacuum line on a 727 transmission. I have heard of no gears, no reverse gear, no forward gears, and no low gear conditions. I can't think of anything that would cause a no second gear condition without effecting some other gear. Find a good hill and start to accelerate when you are doing 15 MPH or less. You should fell it shift at about 25 MPH and again at about 45-55 MPH depending on how much throttle you are using.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
89ram150
Professional

I had a Grand Cherokee that did something similar. Under normal acceleration, it'd only hit 2nd gear for less than a second then right into 3rd. Ended up being the kickdown cable coming off the throttle linkage.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
sabastianunf

Thanks for the responces. If I am running 35-40 it is winding out first really bad but if i floor it - then it will shift into 3rd gear but RPMs are on the low side in 3rd gear. I have not tried manually shifting it but I will in the morning. When I got the truck it did not have a carb on it so i now have an edelbrock 1406 but had to rig the Kick down linkage on to it with a bolt. should the slotted rod slide back and forth on the kickdown plate or should it be bolted on tight? I set it so the arm on the linkage was full exteneded when the gas peddle was floored and have it bolted on thight. It will not kickdown/down shift under acceleration either. Sounds like this might be my problem - anyone know how to set the kickdown cable and where I could find the right parts to attach it to the carb?

Last edited by sabastianunf; 01-14-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rod should be free to slide on the bolt. You have found your problem. You cannot expect correct shifting unless this adjustment is correct. The bolt arrangement will work if you can adjust the linkage correctly.

Quick Reply: 82 dodged150 skips second gear