DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech-63/)
-   -   1989 dodge ram dies when warm (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/296723-1989-dodge-ram-dies-when-warm.html)

Tom> 07-07-2011 06:49 AM

1989 dodge ram dies when warm

OK, so I was having a problem with my truck not running so i changed out the fuel filter and TBI unit itself. Now it starts up no problem and idles well but after about 5 min of driving it will die and I will be unable to start it. If put the gas pedal too the floor and crank it over it will kind of start but it sounds like it is only running on a few cylinders and as soon as i let off the gas it dies. If I let it sit for about 10-15 min to cool down, I can start it up again. As soon as it gets warm, it stalls again.

I've also replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor. It never really shows that hot but it does get a bit of a reading on the gauge. I pulled engine codes and that is the only code i got.

Any ideas at all? Anyone had this problem before?

SEAL 07-07-2011 10:14 AM

I am not sure which engine you have but there are two separate coolant sensors on the V-8s. One is for the gauge (in the intake front passenger side) and one is for the computer (in the intake on the front drivers side). Which did you change? Exactly what code did you get? 22?

SixGun 07-07-2011 03:10 PM

Your symptoms sure sound alot like mine were when my timing was set 10* ATDC instead of 10* BTDC. I drove it on a hot day under load and it died out like it was flooded and may have been. I let it sit about 20 minutes and gradually came back to life and got me home. It didn't drive the same after that. First mechanic thought it was a fuel problem and the second found it to be the timing. I have the V6 and it has a timing tube that apparently is not for the timing mark to be set at. The proper timing is on the top side of the timing marks on the timing cover. Letters were hard to see and stupidity prevailed. Just in case your problem is timing, on mine I had to unplug the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side to set it properly. Hope yours is this simple too. I copied the pic of this area that Crazywolfie sent me just in case. BTDC as you can see is at the top.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F...s512/truck.jpg

Tom> 07-07-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SEAL (Post 2544220)
I am not sure which engine you have but there are two separate coolant sensors on the V-8s. One is for the gauge (in the intake front passenger side) and one is for the computer (in the intake on the front drivers side). Which did you change? Exactly what code did you get? 22?

I replaced the sensor on the front drivers side. I get code 22 from the computer. And it is a 5.2 V8. sorry, i should have mentioned that.

Originally Posted by SixGun (Post 2544406)
Your symptoms sure sound alot like mine were when my timing was set 10* ATDC instead of 10* BTDC. I drove it on a hot day under load and it died out like it was flooded and may have been. I let it sit about 20 minutes and gradually came back to life and got me home. It didn't drive the same after that. First mechanic thought it was a fuel problem and the second found it to be the timing. I have the V6 and it has a timing tube that apparently is not for the timing mark to be set at. The proper timing is on the top side of the timing marks on the timing cover. Letters were hard to see and stupity prevailed. Just in case your problem is timing, on mine I had to unplug the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side to set it properly. Hope yours is this simple too. I copied the pic of this area that Crazywolfie sent me just in case. BTDC as you can see is at the top.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F...s512/truck.jpg

That could be the culprit. I know the timing is out a bit. Ill have to check that. Thanks.

SEAL 07-07-2011 05:52 PM

If you are still getting a code 22 with a new sensor you will have to check the wiring to the sensor. The wiring connectors can become corroded with time.

Tom> 07-08-2011 05:55 PM

Alright, ill pull it off and clean the connectors.

Tom> 07-11-2011 06:26 PM

No luck so far. Im going to park it for a while and maybe convert to diesel

SixGun 07-13-2011 12:40 AM

Wow, that seems pretty drastic! Did you at least check the timing? How about a Dodge dealership or a mechanic you can trust before you give up. May be something simple.

Tom> 07-13-2011 07:41 PM

Im parking it to save some money on insurance and ill tinker with it as i have the time. If i get it running before i find a wrecked cummins truck for a donor, then ill just drive it as is. If not, then cummins it is.

Id much rather have a cummins in there anyway. lol

1&2genrams 07-13-2011 08:39 PM

Buy a Cummins powered truck before you consider a swap, there is so much involved to swap in an engine that weighs twice as much as what you have now with twice (at least) the torque,you would be still cheaper to drop it off at a Chrysler dealership and get them to fix it.