1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are these wires??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you may also want to make sure the speaker wires are hooked up under the dash. they have a separate plug under the dash even thought they are with the cab light.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
serge627
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you may also want to make sure the speaker wires are hooked up under the dash. they have a separate plug under the dash even thought they are with the cab light.
Well if there is a seperate hook up under the dash for the rear speaker wires then Im guessing that would be it. I bought the truck about 5 years ago from the original owner, who was older, so this truck is unmolested and never tinkered with.

Any idea where to look for that hook up under the dash>?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attachment 14049

Seem kinda rare but I put some factory speaker grilles that tuck into that space in the pillar. They are made to fit 4X10's but with a little fab I fit my 5X7's. Nice, neat and tucked away.

Last edited by SixGun; 11-18-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
serge627
Amateur

Problem FIXED....Ill post findings in case any one else has the same issue...

I got some time to go out and look around in the truck and here is what I found. The wiring harness below was inline between the stock head unit (right side) and the main speaker wiring harness (left side). In effect it basically took the head unit and dummed the wires down for a 2 speaker set up. I removed the piece, hooded the other end of the main harness into the stock head unit and all worked.

So now we have a four speaker set up on the same stock head unit. Im guessing not many people still have their original head unit in their truck still, or this little wiring piece I have in the pic below.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM
89ram150
Professional

A 4 speaker system must have been an option apparently. I replaced my stock unit mainly because it wouldn't turn on, but I didn't have to pull any extra harness like that out to make all 4 speakers work. Funny thing is, as far as I can tell, the speakers that are in it are stock, and they all still have bass without sounding like garbage.

Quick Reply: What are these wires??