1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'75 W200 won't idle

Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 W200 won't idle

Hi all, the truck in question is a '75 5.9l W200 with a Holley 2 barrel carb. The truck sat all summer and the gas went bad in it, so I replaced all the gas and dissasembled the carb to clean it out (there was a lot of gunk in there). I had it running great for a while and then out of nowhere it stalled out. It will start (hard), but now it refuses to idle. If I rev it and hold the rpms up after a few seconds it will start to sputter and will stall if I don't pump the gas. The accelerator pump is working, and seems to be the only thing that will keep the truck running. Also, the float bowl is always full of gas when I take it apart.

To me it seems like the carb still has gunk in it and it's being starved for fuel. I've tried cleaning the carb three times with no change in performance. I've checked for vacuum leaks, can't find anything obvious.

So where do I go from here? Timing issue? Fuel filter? I'm at my wits end here guys, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

does it only do this when you first start it or does it still doe it once you have hit operating temperature?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Only at operating temp.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

does the choke seem to be working?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Yup, as far as I know anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Could it be that the mechanical fuel pump is starting to fail?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Define "(there was a lot of gunk in there)". Where there any black flecks in the gunk? That is a sign of a fuel pump membrane failure.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
CSXfan
All Star

No it was mostly varnish and some type of gel. If the fuel pump was on it's way out, it wouldn't run at higher rpms correct?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two ways a mechanical fuel pump normally fails. The diaphragm goes or the outlet valve fails. Without a fuel pressure test you can't say anything categorically about the pump being good or bad.

If you haven't replaced the fuel filter I would do that but it sounds to me, with what you have said, that your problem is still in the carb. You must verify the proper function of the choke. Guessing is not good enough. Anytime you try cleaning the fuel system by disassembly you can dislodge debris that can then clog the very smallest ports in the carb. It sounds like the carb is not flowing enough fuel thru the jets without support from the accelerator pump.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, sounds more like carb trouble then fuel pump. When you cleaned it did you rebuild the carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '75 W200 won't idle