1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cab swap 83 prospector to 93 power ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Jackpinesavage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab swap 83 prospector to 93 power ram

Know I need to cut the tunnel as the 83 is a two wheel drive but can a dash and steering column fom the 93 bolt into the 83 body I am putting on the 93 frame?

Old 01-02-2020, 10:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

is the truck standard? cab should swing over. you don't need to cut up the tunnel that much unless you want it to look stock. cabs will interchange but there is small changes made on 88-93 cabs like moving the bulkhead connector to make room for the hydraulic slave cylinder on newer trucks.

The following users liked this post:
Jackpinesavage (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Jackpinesavage

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
is the truck standard? cab should swing over. you don't need to cut up the tunnel that much unless you want it to look stock. cabs will interchange but there is small changes made on 88-93 cabs like moving the bulkhead connector to make room for the hydraulic slave cylinder on newer trucks.

So the tunnel actually looks couple inches lower and slightly narrower I plan on trying to keep the 93 master brake cylinder off the original 93 cab and bolt on to the 83 should work then? This is all new to me truck wise. I'm a plumber by trade so used to mech stuff. I should be able to remove the 83's heat and cooling duct and completely replace it with the 93 internals correct? It is a automatic transmission

Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

everything will swing over. the trans tunnel is different but you just have to make the hole in the side of the trans tunnel on the 1 side for the 4x4 shifter and that is it. doesn't look as nice as factory but better than cutting the whole are up to make it look stock. plus most aftermarket floor pans are for 2wd cabs.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 01-03-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Jackpinesavage (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:23 AM
Jackpinesavage

everything will swing over. the trans tunnel is different but you just have to make the hole in the side of the trans tunnel on the 1 side for the 4x4 shifter and that is it. doesn't look as nice as factory but better than cutting the whole are up to make it look stock. plus most aftermarket floor pans are for 2wd cabs.
appreciate the help just got the window and dash out tonight going to pull the wiring harness and steering column in the morning hopefully have the cab off tomorrow start setting the 83 on in the evening.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Jackpinesavage

Originally Posted by Jackpinesavage
appreciate the help just got the window and dash out tonight going to pull the wiring harness and steering column in the morning hopefully have the cab off tomorrow start setting the 83 on in the evening.
question I'm fighting with the steering column and the distance between the holes for mounting using the steering column from the 93 in the 83 body any ideas?

Old 01-05-2020, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Too long? Too short? I think some brackets have some adjustment to them. Maybe you can elongate the holes??

Old 01-05-2020, 09:26 PM
Jackpinesavage

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Too long? Too short? I think some brackets have some adjustment to them. Maybe you can elongate the holes??
the steering column from the 93 is slightly larger diameter and the studs are slightly shorter distance between. I was wondering if putting the stud that goes through the alignment hole in the slightly enlarging the other two to fit? Has anyone seen this done? Maybe put a tack weld to the firewall as insurance it doesn't move?

Old 01-06-2020, 01:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

are you sure you are installing it correctly? i have never had an issue swapping steering columns. it can sometimes be a bit tricky to get in and all lined up but everything has always lined up and bolted in. if need be you could oval out the holes with how big the washers are the holds the steering column in but it really shouldn't need to be done,

Jackpinesavage (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Jackpinesavage

are you sure you are installing it correctly? i have never had an issue swapping steering columns. it can sometimes be a bit tricky to get in and all lined up but everything has always lined up and bolted in. if need be you could oval out the holes with how big the washers are the holds the steering column in but it really shouldn't need to be done,
I'll go back and check it was a long day.

Quick Reply: Cab swap 83 prospector to 93 power ram