1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Window Regulator Frozen

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window Regulator Frozen

I have a 1982 Dodge D350 with manual crank windows. The other day I rolled up the drivers window and today it won't budge. It feels frozen in place and gives no indication it will move. Last year I greased it up and it cranked smoothly, until today. I have removed the inside door panel and sprayed some Blaster on some of the joints, but it doesn't seem to help. I have looked for a replacement window regulator on the web, but they are all power window regulators, not manual. Any suggestions where to get a manual window regulator or if there are suggestions on on freezing the current regulator. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you make sure the window was still in the track? there is no way things would roll up a couple days ago and not work today. there must be a reason it is not moving.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
pumbu
Professional

Crazzywolfie, when I shine a light inside and up, while holding a hand mirror, the glass appears to be on track and all of the mechanisms seem ok. The window looks like it is in the front and rear tracks. What are the indications of it not being in the tracks?

Would slamming the door hard make it the windows get off track?

Photos, looking up from the bottom of the door.

Attached Thumbnails Window Regulator Frozen-windowregulator1_zps1c59aca2.jpg  

Last edited by pumbu; 04-18-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: To add photographs
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if it was to jump off the track it could be hard to roll up or down. i don't think slamming the door should knock it off the truck unless the track was already a bit loose.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
pumbu
Professional

I added some photos above. The crank handle will not move at all and the glass gives no indication it is trying to move. Could there be a gear in the crank mechanism that is jammed?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

it almost sounds like something in the crank mechanism is jammed. everything looks good otherwise. could try putting a bit more strength into opening or closing it in hopes of trying to un jam it.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
pumbu
Professional

I have tried putting pressure on the handle going clockwise and counter clockwise, and it seems like something might break, but if I only break the handle, it is cheap, so I will try some more.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

is there any rocks or dirt in any of those tracks?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
RamblerReb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look at the working window and see if anything looks different (other than the mirror image factor, of course)?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 AM
pumbu
Professional

Originally Posted by RamblerReb
Did you look at the working window and see if anything looks different (other than the mirror image factor, of course)?

Not yet, I will do that later today. I really hate taking off the interior paneling, I think its going to snap one of these days.

As of this a.m., I have let the Blaster break down the rust for about 12 hours and the handle now barely rotates, with a loud "ka-chunk" kind of noise, but the window still won't budge. Before, I could not get the handle to even rotate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Regulator Frozen