1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My project truck..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
the first time you use the wipers they will jump back up where they are suppose to be. i know mine do that all the time.
Weird. When the 76 did that, it broke the bushing.
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I am glad it is a carb. I will rebuild the carby first, and run it off of a off board fuel pump whilst I clean and refurbish the tank and all the fuel lines. I heard the only reason he parked it was the clutch went out. I heard it was still running fine when he parked it.
Hopefully that's the case. And it's a 360 so it's likely still got good compression. But to a comp test before you go gung-ho into trying to get it to fire.

*edit*
I'm kinda with wolfie on that one, stick a new battery on it and see what happens.
You're working with a Mopar after all!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Weird. When the 76 did that, it broke the bushing.

Hopefully that's the case. And it's a 360 so it's likely still got good compression. But to a comp test before you go gung-ho into trying to get it to fire.

*edit*
I'm kinda with wolfie on that one, stick a new battery on it and see what happens.
You're working with a Mopar after all!
it only has 86K on it.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Sniper X
Captain

i don't think i would be able to wait and rebuild the carb. i think i would just put fuel to it and and try firing it up. as long as is it doesn't have the newer ethanol laced fuel in it it might fire up and stay running.
True, and it has been sitting for ten years so might just fire off with a little spray prime in the carby and a jump box.....

Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

it only has 86K on it.
Or it could have 186k.
My 76 says it has 85k. lol I'd do a comp test on it anyway.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Or it could have 186k.
My 76 says it has 85k. lol I'd do a comp test on it anyway.
Did the 78~79 come with a 5 or 6 digit odo? I seem to remember it had a zero ahead of the 8.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Sniper X
Captain

it looks like it might be a 5 digit.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Did the 78~79 come with a 5 or 6 digit odo? I seem to remember it had a zero ahead of the 8.
I do not know as I have a 76, mine is a 5 digit. I thought they 6 digits weren't really used until the 80's.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i wouldn't worry about doing a compression test or leak down test until after you get it running. i would just make sure the fluid levels are where they need to be and then pour some gas down the carb and hit the key. she may sound a bit rough for the first few minutes if it stays running but it will eventually start sounding better.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Sniper X
Captain

i wouldn't worry about doing a compression test or leak down test until after you get it running. i would just make sure the fluid levels are where they need to be and then pour some gas down the carb and hit the key. she may sound a bit rough for the first few minutes if it stays running but it will eventually start sounding better.
I have a buddy who bought a Chev that had been sitting for at least ten years. It was a 1977 and we went to pick it up and just took jumper cables and some gas in a can. It took about half an hour, but we got it running good enough for him to drive home! BTW this was about ten years ago so he definitely had gas in the tank from before all this ethenol crap.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I have a buddy who bought a Chev that had been sitting for at least ten years. It was a 1977 and we went to pick it up and just took jumper cables and some gas in a can. It took about half an hour, but we got it running good enough for him to drive home! BTW this was about ten years ago so he definitely had gas in the tank from before all this ethenol crap.
I'm not sure I would have been comfortable on those tires, but whatever floats his boat!

Quick Reply: My project truck..