1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help fixing some problems

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 AM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help fixing some problems

hey guys! i finally finished putting the lift kit on my truck and im really happy with how it came out.. it took me about a week to put it on in my barn just using jack stands and stuff. it somebody on here recommended the rough country lift kit for a 75 power wagon and they where right. it looks SICK!

I have a lot of things left to do on the truck. there are some simple things like i want to redo the brakes. i have some small wiring stuff and some stuff i cant figure out. if you guys can help me that would be great!

the first thing is the turn signals. they dont work at all.. i put a new cam in the steering column but that didnt fix it. im going to check the fuses soon, but would you guys recommend anything else.

and the other thing is my truck used to handle pretty bad before the lift kit. now that it has a lift it feels like it sways freely all over the road and its kinda scary to drive. i just put dual steering stabilizers on tonight but didnt have any time to test them. that should help a bit, but would you guys recommend doing anything else... btw when i hit about 60 on the freeway the whole truck starts to vibrate... and im not too sure why.

Attached Thumbnails Help fixing some problems-cam01021.jpg  

Last edited by NiNjAassasin545; 01-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM
dozer556
Rookie

Originally Posted by NiNjAassasin545
the first thing is the turn signals. they dont work at all.. i put a new cam in the steering column but that didnt fix it. im going to check the fuses soon, but would you guys recommend anything else.

and the other thing is my truck used to handle pretty bad before the lift kit. now that it has a lift it feels like it sways freely all over the road and its kinda scary to drive. i just put dual steering stabilizers on tonight but didnt have any time to test them. that should help a bit, but would you guys recommend doing anything else... btw when i hit about 60 on the freeway the whole truck starts to vibrate... and im not too sure why.

Turnsignals: check the fuses, bulbs, bulb carriers & flasher unit. If this still turns up nothing, you may want to check the continuity of the circuits.

Vibration at speed: on a lifted truck the very first thing that pops into my mind is driveline vibration. Instead of trying to explain it myself, here are some links:

http://www.4xshaft.com/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...veshaft-angle/

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...and_solutions/

HTH.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok when you say turn signals are you checking them using the emergency flashers or the turn signal switch itself?
They are 2 separate circuits.
The hazards work off a fusible link coming straight off the battery.

Dave

Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 AM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur

Originally Posted by dozer556
Turnsignals: check the fuses, bulbs, bulb carriers & flasher unit. If this still turns up nothing, you may want to check the continuity of the circuits.

Vibration at speed: on a lifted truck the very first thing that pops into my mind is driveline vibration. Instead of trying to explain it myself, here are some links:

http://www.4xshaft.com/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...veshaft-angle/

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...and_solutions/

HTH.
i just checked the front of my rear driveline and the u join is shot.. thanks for the idea! i cant believe how much that u joint moves just by me pushing and pulling on it a little

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
Ok when you say turn signals are you checking them using the emergency flashers or the turn signal switch itself?
They are 2 separate circuits.
The hazards work off a fusible link coming straight off the battery.

Dave
hey dave

i checked the fuses and they work. i pulled the hazard switch and the two side flashers come on but not the two rear. and when i flip the turn signals on nothing happens at all.. the clicking for the hazards also works.

i did use a test light to check the wires coming out of the steering column from the switch and i only found 2 hot wires. when i think there should be way more. am i right? im thinking that i need a whole new switch.. i did replace the turn signal cam, but not the switch and it did look really old and beat up.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Did you check the bulbs as suggested? Shorted bulb had similar effect on my brothers jeep.

Dave

Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 PM
NiNjAassasin545
Amateur

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
Did you check the bulbs as suggested? Shorted bulb had similar effect on my brothers jeep.

Dave
the bults in the tail lights? no i haven't, but i guess i could really quick. thanks! ill tell you what i figure out

Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM
dozer556
Rookie

Originally Posted by NiNjAassasin545
i just checked the front of my rear driveline and the u join is shot.. thanks for the idea! i cant believe how much that u joint moves just by me pushing and pulling on it a little
That'll do it.

Don't drive the truck like that for long. If that u-joint goes at speed, bad things can happen. Get it replaced ASA&P.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help fixing some problems