1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:47 AM
Logchain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust options?

Hey everyone,

New member here with a question about exhaust but first a quick background. When I was a kid my father had an 88 w100 that he loved. He had to sell the pickup when times got hard and has ever since talked about how much he regrets that decision. I recently picked up a 1989 w100 with the same paint job as his. I'm going to surprise him with the pickup and I want it to be everything he wanted in his.

Got the truck for a steal and just pulled the trigger on a rebuilt 360 to do a motor swap. Stock motor with the exception of a 214/224 duration cam. He always wanted a somewhat rough idle cam (his had a 318 and so does mine but he always wanted a 360).
While I'm swapping the motor I figured I would go ahead and upgrade the exhaust as well.

Here is my question, what exhaust system would you all recommend and what mufflers? Headers for sure and I was thinking dual exhaust w/ flowmaster super 44's but I don't know much about dodge pickups as I've done most my wrenching on Pontiacs. Looking for something with a decent throaty sound that wont be overly annoying for a daily driver.

Summit doesn't seem to have a large selection of exhaust kits for this year/model either.

I threw in a pic for you all, the truck has an old rancho lift kit and body lift with a topper on the back. Needs work but man will he love this thing.

Any information or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Logchain

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust options?-dodge.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I have a 78 power wagon with true duel exhaust and long tube headers. It can be done but it has to go around the transfer case on the passenger side. Do you need to pass emissions?

Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Dual 44's won't be bad on that truck. I run a single one on my Jeep Commander, which RARELY sees an interstate (in-town crawler), and it's fine. 2,000 RPM power band drones, but, as I said - it sees an interstate maybe 3 -5 times a YEAR.

The 50 series is designed AS a truck muffler, so you might want to investigate those as well.

Unless he's having a mid-life crisis too , do NOT go with Magnaflow glasspacks. That's what I'm running.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options?