DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech-63/)
-   -   continuation of stater not engaging (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/395238-continuation-of-stater-not-engaging.html)

flipmann 05-19-2016 01:16 AM

continuation of stater not engaging

Okay bench started the starter and solenoid and starter both are spinning. Put it back in the truck crawled underneath tried to start it and nothing just spun like before but I did notice that the solenoid pushed out and the fly wheel did spin but it didn't crank. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and they where a redish brown on the tops. Now these plugs only have probably 800 miles on them if that. I went ahead and put some new ones in and pulled the coil out haven't tried starting it again yet ran out of daylight haha. any Ideas? I did notice that the distributor is a two coil system but on the diagram I have there are 2 sets of wires coming off each coil Mine only have one set on the outside of the cap any ideas and comments would be very helpful

flipmann 05-19-2016 06:58 AM

Okay a lot of views but no comments come guys. What are the magneto suppose to be gaged at on the distributor. I think that is the problem I don't think they are set right. My distributor is always moving around no matter how tight I think the bolt is any help thoughts guys

Friar Tuck 05-19-2016 07:03 PM

This is a new thread. Why not post this on your other thread for continuity?

Wish I could help.
So it's a crank-no-start?
Got spark and fuel?
Got the timing problem fixed?
Know where I can download a manual for it?

ricks truck 06-20-2016 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by flipmann (Post 3297363)
Okay bench started the starter and solenoid and starter both are spinning. Put it back in the truck crawled underneath tried to start it and nothing just spun like before but I did notice that the solenoid pushed out and the fly wheel did spin but it didn't crank. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and they where a redish brown on the tops. Now these plugs only have probably 800 miles on them if that. I went ahead and put some new ones in and pulled the coil out haven't tried starting it again yet ran out of daylight haha. any Ideas? I did notice that the distributor is a two coil system but on the diagram I have there are 2 sets of wires coming off each coil Mine only have one set on the outside of the cap any ideas and comments would be very helpful

You keep saying "Didn't crank"....... Do you mean the engine would not 'catch and start'? Or do you mean the flywheel is spinning but the engine is not turning over?
BIG difference there. n your other thread, it sounded as if th engine was not turning over, but now it sounds t me like it 'won't start'.

flipmann 06-21-2016 09:43 PM

The fly wheel is spinning with the starter but it's not turning the engine over. If I put a wrench on the crank case on the front got compression and all that but it wont start when I turn the key the fly wheel just spins. I've narrowed it down to either the bolts in the fly wheel are broke, the fly wheel is broke it's self or the back half of the crank is broke. I haven't took it apart yet to see the out come yet (havnet and the time) any one got any other ideas that could cause it thanks for the help and in put

Friar Tuck 06-23-2016 12:06 AM

I think we're all waitin' to see what's broke!:icon_mrgreen: