1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93' 250 2wd-4wd and auto-manual project

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:47 AM
HeppnerDavid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93' 250 2wd-4wd and auto-manual project

I just took possession of a 93' 250 ClubCab yesterday. My son bought it to replace my 91' he totaled last week. 145,000 miles on the old girl. 4 speed auto. Cummins engine purrs like a kitten. 18.3 mpg with a strong headwind doing 70-75 on the freeway.

Now the project begins. The body is very straight so no body work or paint to deal with on the cab just yet. I am removing the bed and replacing it with a flatbed off my old pickup. Going to RhinoLine it, re-do to fuel filler and put lay-down rails on it. Should go pretty quick. The harder part will be the auto to manual conversion and the 2wd to 4wd conversion. I have most everything I need on my old pickup but will need to replace a couple things like the front spring stacks and maybe the spring hangers if they are damaged. Luckily we have a couple good salvage yards within 100 miles so it should be easy to locate parts. I need to run a vin search with my local dealer and get the build sheet on my old pickup so I know what axles and gears I have in my old rig. She was no speed demon for sure so I know I am pretty low geared. When I figure out the photo thing I will post some pics. Great site full of great info to get this done.

David

Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 PM
HeppnerDavid

Trying to add photos. Hopefully this works.

Last edited by HeppnerDavid; 05-21-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:19 PM
HeppnerDavid

First things first. he had to take the 2 best tires off of my 91 so his mother would let him drive it!!! Pretty much had racing slicks on it when he bought it. next part of the project will be to take my flatbed off, so a little body work on it then RaptorLine it and install it. I will have a bed to list for sale in the local want ads and 2wd parts to follow as we swap the axles.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:43 PM
HeppnerDavid

7-3-16
Been gutting out my wrecked pickup and boxing up all the parts I want to keep just in case and removing some body parts a neighbor wants to buy. So far it has gone pretty well. Tomorrow we will pull the transfer case and transmission and prepare to remove the flatbed so we can get going on it. We are going to remove the metal deck and rebuild the framework to take a nice tongue and groove wood deck then RaptorLine the frame.

We will re-seal the transmission, transfer case and replace the rear main seal as we have parts exposed. A new clutch and throw out bearing will pretty much get us back on the road.

So far it has been a lot of fun but I can see the workload mounting!!!

David

Quick Reply: 93' 250 2wd-4wd and auto-manual project