1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 D250 Custom - No Turn Signals, Radio, or Windshield Wipers

Old 04-23-2017, 12:41 AM
matador
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 D250 Custom - No Turn Signals, Radio, or Windshield Wipers

I own a 1986 D250 (It has a 360 and is the base model- really base). I had a battery drain issue last fall, so I parked it over the winter and started working in it this week. I got it running fine- replaced the ICM and the Voltage Regulator. However, I now have a new problem. All of my lights and accessories work, except for the turn signals, radio, and the windshield wiper/washer. Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Originally Posted by matador
I own a 1986 D250 (It has a 360 and is the base model- really base). I had a battery drain issue last fall, so I parked it over the winter and started working in it this week. I got it running fine- replaced the ICM and the Voltage Regulator. However, I now have a new problem. All of my lights and accessories work, except for the turn signals, radio, and the windshield wiper/washer. Any ideas?
I'm assuming that you've checked the fuses and they're intact? It's unlikely that one of them would have blown just from swapping the parts, but anything's possible if you didn't disconnect the battery when you swapped the ICM and VR. If you still have the old parts, I'd say plug them back in and see if you've still got this same problem. If so, you're chasing wiring (probably grounds, or potentially a broken wire coming from one of the harnesses). If it goes away, you may have a defective part (uncommon, but not unheard of)

But, my money's on either a fuse of a cracked wire, personally. Good luck!

$.02

Last edited by Noelie84; 04-24-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 PM
matador

A blown fuse was my first thought. I pulled them and swapped them for the ones in my other truck- the other truck worked fine, but these still didn't. So, I switched them back. I'll see if I have the old parts still. My guess would be on a split wire or something, but I just don't know where those three things would share a wire

Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Originally Posted by matador
A blown fuse was my first thought. I pulled them and swapped them for the ones in my other truck- the other truck worked fine, but these still didn't. So, I switched them back. I'll see if I have the old parts still. My guess would be on a split wire or something, but I just don't know where those three things would share a wire
Without a wiring diagram in front of me I'm not sure either. My guess would be a common ground or common power supply wire coming off the harness

Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 PM
matador

I have a Haynes manual, so I can pull that up. I never thought to check on ground wires, though. Hopefully that's what it is

Old 04-28-2017, 07:40 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Just checking in to see if you've had any luck?

Old 04-30-2017, 01:43 AM
matador

Waiting for a day when it's not pouring rain outside to look at her. It's way too wet here this spring

Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Yeah, that's a good reason to wait. Nothing like a cold pouring rain to make working on your truck a miserable experience. I had to swap out an in-tank fuel pump on an '87 Nissan pickup years ago, flat on my back, outside, in a March rain storm. Never been so cold in my life.

Last edited by Noelie84; 05-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread