1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

D250 Specs Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:57 PM
MarcosD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D250 Specs Suspension

Hi all. New here, in fact first post. I have a question about ball joints and general front end 2wd steering.

I'm looking to replace the front "wear" parts. In part because I get the death shimmy. I looked it up and there's a solution for the 2nd gen and also a common issue on straight axle trucks but no mention on this chassis. Every car on the road will get the death wobble with enough deferred maintenance.

Mine does flap about plenty when braking from speed. Combination tires/ball joints/tie rods/ brake warping(uneven deposits on rotors((don't care which))/ alignment.. as far as I can tell.

I have a million questions but I will keep it on point here.

What brand does LMC carry (ball joints/tie rods)? Seems cheap.
Should I buy moog, where?
Should I bother with greaseable joints?

I have press fit ball joints, truck is 3/4 ton with a 3300 lb front axle according to the door sticker. LMC says 3/4 ton trucks have a 4000 lb axle... damn variations...

I will buy CAB bushings, probably in polyurethane.

What other "wear items" are there up front?

TRUCK SPEC 1991 D250 3/4t Base, long bed, 5.9 gas "electro-carb" np435 transmission.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:01 PM
MarcosD
Default Answers

I've answered some of my own questions with a bit of research. It's not my first time on forums and I know folks seem to get tired of "re-explaining" everything. That's fine.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Did dodge do the 'light duty' 3/4 ton back then? I know for the 2nd gens, the 3/4 ton trucks came with two possible weight ratings, 7500, and 8800. The light trucks still used a Dana 44 in front, and the Corporate 9.25 in the rear, just with eight lugs. Should tell you on the door sticker what the weight rating is.

Moog has been really hit or miss on quality of late. Some folks recommend the XRF balljoints, etc.

I am not real familiar with the first gen trucks, but, does yours have a track bar to locate the front axle side to side? That is usually the first suspect on the 2nd gens for death wobble......

Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 PM
MarcosD
Default Hey You

I have a question about the frame status as well since you mention it. From what I have read, the 91.5 frames in the the D250's did get an "upgrade" to the heavier frame of the era. That said and since mine is a 91, does a 6/7/91 or later build spec denote that?

I wonder what measurements you could take to figure it out. Next I guess I'll read about frame boxing and whether it's worth it.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcosD
I have a question about the frame status as well since you mention it. From what I have read, the 91.5 frames in the the D250's did get an "upgrade" to the heavier frame of the era. That said and since mine is a 91, does a 6/7/91 or later build spec denote that?

I wonder what measurements you could take to figure it out. Next I guess I'll read about frame boxing and whether it's worth it.
Build date indicates it is very much toward the end of the model year cycle. Changeover to the 92 models likely happened in July.