1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New pump, crank no start? urne

Old 11-17-2017, 01:41 AM
zhjordan99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pump, crank no start? urne

Hey guys. So a couple months ago I was driving my 92 Dodge Ram W250. It was doing fine, drove around about 10 miles, went to the bank, was inside maybe 20 minutes, came back out and fire up my truck and drove about 40 feet away, the engine got real quiet and the gas needle went to E even tho I had a couple gallons in the tank. It ran out of gas, so I was stuck in the parking lot. For 3 hours it wouldn’t start, it cranked but no start. Then after 3 hours, it started up, drove 5 miles away to church then sat for a couple hours and started up fine and drove home. Next morning it started, drive fine for 10 miles then died on me again. I went inside Walmart and came back out and a crank but no start. Was stuck for 2 hours, it came back on and drove home fine. Then it drove fine after that for a couples weeks, then I went out one day to start it up and it wouldn’t start. This time, it wouldn’t start for 5 days. I tried everyday, cranks but no start. I towed it to the mechanic, he got in, turned the key and it fired up. It sat at the mechanic for 2 weeks while he tried it everyday it started up fine. I drove it home and it drove fine for the next month until this last week. It wouldn’t start on me one day, every time I try to start it, the gas needle just goes to extreme empty even though I have plenty of gas. So I changed the fuel pump, turned the key, it started for a second and died. Then I put about 10 gallons of gas and STP cleaner in there. It started up and was fine. I drove it above 6 miles, no problems. Drove it to work the next day, no problems. Started it the day after, wouldn’t start. So I went and bought a new relay, put it on and it started fine, I could hear the pump prime and relay click once. I turned it off and on a couple times and the 4th time it wouldn’t start up. Then I tried again and it started up, ran for 10 seconds and died. Then wouldn’t start for the rest of the day. Now the pump and relay click one time when I turn the key forward, but I don’t hear the pump prime. It still won’t start. Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

What brand pump did you install?

Are you getting spark when it won't start?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM
zhjordan99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airtex fuel pump, same exact model that originally came with it. I don’t know about the spark.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Airtex...... yah, a brand known for less-than-quality parts..... My take on Airtex has been: If you like doing the job over again, buy their parts. If you want to do it once, and be done with it, spend a bit more money, and get a quality part. Lifetime limited warranty notwithstanding..... after having two fail on me in less than six months, and research showing that this isn't unusual, I won't install their brand parts any more.

Next time it won't start, verify you are getting spark. If you are, replace the pump module with a better quality part. Delphi, Denso, etc.

Search this Thread