1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1984 D150 No Start After High Rev

Old 02-09-2018, 09:14 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 D150 No Start After High Rev

Crappy day...I have a 84 D150 2wd with a 318 and auto tranny. Completely stock and 107K miles. So the start of this crappy day I pulled the stock intake off and replaced it with a Edelbrock SP2P 318 aluminium intake and put on a Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb. The first start up was awesome, idle great. Then went to test drive it and it felt a little sluggish but overall drove fine......here's were it gets stupid. I wanted to test the kick down linkage and when I pressed the gas all the way down the throttle spring got hung on something and it stuck full throttle!! I threw it up in neutral (not sure why) and turned the key off and coasted to the side of the road. For the 2 seconds it was in neutral it reved pretty high, blew a Sh@t ton of black smoke, I turned the key off and now it will not start. It won't hit a lick.....smells flooded so I waited a few hours and tried it again. Nothing. Any ideas what I may have done?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Stomp the gas pedal to the floor, and give it a crank. See if you get any action.

If you have Champion plugs in there, and you flooded it, pull 'em, and replace them with something better.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would have to agree with HeyYou. best to putt the plugs and see what the look like. hopefully no damage was done. i have had my share of bad luck with chapion plugs failing once they are flooded. i don't really know what it is about them dying when flooded. nkg v-power one seem to do a bit better but you should be able to check the plugs for spark when you pull them.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur

I put new plugs and wires in today while swapping the intake, but I will pull them in the morning and see if they are soaked. I hope I didn't float the lifters, bend a valve, or jump time when I revved it.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur

So I pulled the spark plugs and replaced but still not starting. Did a compression check and 125-135 on all cylinders, so that's good. I have spark, I have compression, so I really think it fuel related, The picture above is my intake (Is it a single plane or dual plane??) Do I need a spacer between the intake and carb? I feel like it's something to do with the carb. I read alot about needing spacers between dual planes and singles planes......but I don't know what this means.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

as far as i know you should be good running the dual plain intake without a spacer. dual plane intakes are actually usually what is recommended on a truck. have you tried possibly pouring a bit of fuel in thru the carb to see if if fires? if you are having a fuel related issue is should fire up after pouring some fuel down the carb. the compression readings are a bit low but still ok. i would still start running shell rotella 15w40 oil in the engine from now on if you get it running again. it is a diesel truck oil which has additives to clean the inside of the engine. i know i am seeing a pretty solid 170psi across all the cylinders in my 81.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
as far as i know you should be good running the dual plain intake without a spacer. dual plane intakes are actually usually what is recommended on a truck. have you tried possibly pouring a bit of fuel in thru the carb to see if if fires? if you are having a fuel related issue is should fire up after pouring some fuel down the carb. the compression readings are a bit low but still ok. i would still start running shell rotella 15w40 oil in the engine from now on if you get it running again. it is a diesel truck oil which has additives to clean the inside of the engine. i know i am seeing a pretty solid 170psi across all the cylinders in my 81.
I did try pouring fuel down the carb (thought maybe the fuel pump was bad) did change anything. I order a 1/2" non-metallic spacer and I'm going to pull the carb to install it and pull the top off the carb and check to make sure needle and floats are good. I'll keep y'all posted so maybe someone else having this issue can have a reference.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so it won't fire even if you pour gas down the carb? i really don't see any point spending money on a spacer or taking the top off the carb if you can't get the engine to fire with a bit of fuel down the carb. it should fire up to some degree if you pour fuel down the carb.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:59 PM
pjohnson0818
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
so it won't fire even if you pour gas down the carb? i really don't see any point spending money on a spacer or taking the top off the carb if you can't get the engine to fire with a bit of fuel down the carb. it should fire up to some degree if you pour fuel down the carb.
Nope won't hit a lick. The only time it did anything is when I tapped on the carb while my buddy started it....it started right up and ran for 30 sec and when I put it in gear died and hasn't ran since. I can smell gas, I can see gas squirt from the jets...just seems to be flooding. Thinking a float is stuck or a needle isn't seating. I order the spacer prior to this anyways, I was reading and people say the edelbrock carbs are prone to getting hot and boiling the fuel in the bowls so you put a non-metallic spacer that won't conduct heat. So I'm assuming from your previous thread that my intake is a "dual plane" intake? I appreciate you letting me pick your brain....I'm kinda at a loss and it's helping me to bounce ideas off other dodge owners.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

but you shouldn't be dealing with heat related issues yet if you can't even keep it running. have you tried holding the throttle all they way open while starting? if the engine truely is flooding while trying to start it the only way to deal with it would be to hold the throttle all the way open. definitely might be something funky in the carb if it is flooding out without even running. i would still hold off ordering that spacer until you at least get the engine running again. some vehicles need them and some don't. i personally like running a 180*thermostat and electric fans which would likely help prevent any heat related issues but then again i am running holley carbs. ya the intake is a dual plane. a single plane intake does not have the divider in the middle. i think the dual plane setup is suppose to help with torque down low which is great for a truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 D150 No Start After High Rev