1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1990 w250 318 automatic transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Travis98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 w250 318 automatic transmission problems

I think it has a 46rh transmission. It is burning its own transmission fluid making it run like crap and trans isnt shifting right. It’s smoking black and loading up but runs fine after I drive it hard for awhile then it’s low on fluid again. Transmission also whines when shifting and downshifting What would be causing it to suck fluid from the transmission and burn it thru the intake?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you checking the transmission fluid level with the truck in neutral? it may seem like fluid is going missing if you check it while in park but the fluid is not being pumped in park. you may want to check that and possibly change the fluid and adjust the trans before it completely fails from being run low on fluid.

the engine running like crap is most likely a completely separate issue. have you checked for codes? i would maybe even be checking the injector spray pattern with a led light. black smoke is usually unburnt fuel

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Travis98

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
are you checking the transmission fluid level with the truck in neutral? it may seem like fluid is going missing if you check it while in park but the fluid is not being pumped in park. you may want to check that and possibly change the fluid and adjust the trans before it completely fails from being run low on fluid.

the engine running like crap is most likely a completely separate issue. have you checked for codes? i would maybe even be checking the injector spray pattern with a led light. black smoke is usually unburnt fuel
Sometimes it runs good and sometimes it runs rough. It doesn’t leak transmission fluid but I always have to add some to it that’s why I thought it was somehow burning it.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:45 AM
kennethdzrhnds

the only way you are going to burn trans fluid?Is if you drain fluid from the trans pan into a container and then pour it into your fuel tank.Period.I think whats happining is the truck has more problems that you thoughtWhat you need to do is keep checking and adding as needed till you figure out whereyour tranny is leaking.Probly at the rear seal and it gets tossed all over so you dont see a particular drip

Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

3 Year old thread!

Quick Reply: 1990 w250 318 automatic transmission problems