1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine backfiring and stalling after warming up

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM
klmclafferty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine backfiring and stalling after warming up

I have a 89' D150, 318 TBI. When I start the truck it runs perfect. after driving it around for 5 or ten mins it starts to stutter and struggle for power, then it will back fire and die. After that it will not start up again but if I come back the next day it starts again and repeats the process. Has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter. I think its a fuel/air issue (maybe ignition), but im not too sure. I am pulling 1 code from the OBD1 and its for torque converter clutch solenoid(37). I dont think that would cause this problem, or could it? if not, what else should I do? Im not super mechanically inclined, learning as I go. thanks.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Run it till it quits. Pull the cover off the air filter housing, see if the injectors are actually spraying fuel while cranking. (requires a second person.....) If that looks good, verify you are getting spark to the cylinders. (I just pull a plug wire, put a spare spark plug in it, ground it would somewhere, and crank the engine. See if it fires.)

once you know what's missing, you can find out why.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:45 PM
klmclafferty

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Run it till it quits. Pull the cover off the air filter housing, see if the injectors are actually spraying fuel while cranking. (requires a second person.....) If that looks good, verify you are getting spark to the cylinders. (I just pull a plug wire, put a spare spark plug in it, ground it would somewhere, and crank the engine. See if it fires.)

once you know what's missing, you can find out why.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable, is the fuel pressure regulator by the injectors? im learning all of this, sorry if it is a dumb question. I have not gotten a chance to look yet, I just want to have a general idea where to look.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Regulator is in the tank with the pump. You replaced all this " new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter" and didn't change the cap and rotor? You need to determine if the issue is fuel or spark.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Regulator is in the tank with the pump. You replaced all this " new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter" and didn't change the cap and rotor? You need to determine if the issue is fuel or spark.
Isn't the TBI a return style system, with the regulator on the throttle body?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 PM
klmclafferty

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Isn't the TBI a return style system, with the regulator on the throttle body?

I found it yesterday, it was on the throttle body. I knew it wasnt in the tank, I already had everything out and didnt see it. Thank you!

Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would maybe be looking at the hall effect sensor. run it till is stops then try checking for spark. i am pretty sure the hall effects sensor controls fuel and spark on the TBI engines like the crank position sensor on new engines does.

Quick Reply: Engine backfiring and stalling after warming up