1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won’t accelerate / shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 PM
klmclafferty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won’t accelerate / shaking

So my truck runs so perfect when it first starts up but after about 15 mins it doesn’t want to accelerate and vilolently shakes when trying to accelerate. It has tiny backfires and dies if I push it for another 10 mins. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, injectors, plugs, wires and distributer cap. cleaned throttle body and map sensor. Idk what’s causing it, any ideas? In my head it has to be fuel, air, or exhaust related. 89’ 318 TBI btw.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Disconnect the O2 sensor. Bet your problems evaporate. If they do, replace the sensor. (NTK or Denso please. Skip bosch..... our trucks don't like 'em.)

Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 PM
klmclafferty

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Disconnect the O2 sensor. Bet your problems evaporate. If they do, replace the sensor. (NTK or Denso please. Skip bosch..... our trucks don't like 'em.)
Where is the O2 sensor in these and is there only 1?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Only one, should be just in front of the cat.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would maybe look at the hall effect sensor in the distributor. to me it almost sounds like it is not running on all cylinders when under load which could be caused by the hall effects sensor and could cause the engine to shake violently.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you change the fuel filter when you replaced the fuel pump? Check engine light on? Codes...
http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
klmclafferty

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you change the fuel filter when you replaced the fuel pump? Check engine light on? Codes...
http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html
Sorry for the late reply, I am just now seeing this. Yes I did change the filter, The only code im pulling from the truck is 37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure. which I dont think that would cause this, or would it?

Old 10-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Shaun Wicklein

Originally Posted by klmclafferty
Sorry for the late reply, I am just now seeing this. Yes I did change the filter, The only code im pulling from the truck is 37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure. which I dont think that would cause this, or would it?
Did you ever get a response on the torque converter clutch solenoid, code 37? I am getting the same code and the truck hesitates abruptly during acceleration. Wanted to check before posting to the group again.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 PM
klmclafferty

Originally Posted by Shaun Wicklein

Did you ever get a response on the torque converter clutch solenoid, code 37? I am getting the same code and the truck hesitates abruptly during acceleration. Wanted to check before posting to the group again.

Thanks
i havnt heard anything and I haven’t fixed the problem. I’m going to have to take it somewhere and see what is the deal.

Quick Reply: Won’t accelerate / shaking