1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clogged exhaust crossover

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 PM
LeonardHayes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clogged exhaust crossover

This upgrade is one problem after another.
pulled the intake manifold and the éxhaust crossover for the egr was completely clogged. The ports on the heads are maybe 80% blocked. Do I need to pull the heads to clean these? Is this a sign of worse issues? I have an Edelbrock manifold to replace the stock, and a few extra quarts of sacraficial oil to flush my lifter galley because there seems to be alot of crumbs there.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

personally i wouldn't worry about them especially if you got a carb with electric choke. as far as the lifter galley goes you could try to vacuum it out but i doubt there is really any good way to clean the engine without tearing it apart. you can try running oil with better cleaners in it like shell rottella 15w40. it is a diesel truck oil so it has more cleaners in it to keep the rings clean since diesel require high compression to run. i would assume the oil would also slowly work as dissolving any buildups in the engine and catching them in the filter eventually

Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 AM
LeonardHayes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so these carbon deposits in the cyl. Head wont damage anything if they become dislodged? Does the crossover function under normal exhaust pressures?

Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Vehicle info ???
I have an Edelbrock manifold to replace the stock,
Which one? Do you have emissions testing where you live?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

they shouldn't hurt anything. it is not like the carbon can really go anywhere once it is in there. people block them all the time. the cross over is mainly there to help heat the intake quicker so the choke doesn't take forever to kick off. if you got a electric choke this should not be an issue.

Quick Reply: Clogged exhaust crossover