1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 Power Ram Not Cranking

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM
ajame01r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Power Ram Not Cranking

So, When I try to start the truck i turn the key on, and I hear everything kick on but when I try to crank it, nothing happens. I can crawl under and start it by jumping the starter with a screwdriver. It was a daily driver for a while then it sat. I have replaced the starter/solenoid and the starter switch in the column. Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Is there a starter relay under the hood?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM
ajame01r

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is there a starter relay under the hood?
I would think so, but I'm not sure where it's located.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Neither am I. If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, wouldn't hurt to get a service manual for it. You can probably download one for 25 bucks or so, from Rock Auto, or various other places.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:48 PM
ajame01r

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Neither am I. If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, wouldn't hurt to get a service manual for it. You can probably download one for 25 bucks or so, from Rock Auto, or various other places.
Haha, I have a Clymer manual laying around somewhere. This was my first truck. Its been in the family for a long time. It's just been sitting at my parents house for too long. I'm just trying to get it running and drive-able again. I hate seeing it sitting.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

should be a relay with a brown output that runs the starter. you can run the starter from under the hood. unplug the connector with the brown and red wires and then jump the brown wire to the red wire with a paper clip on the connector attached to the battery. that is how i usually do it when needed. works on all 88-93 as far as i know. you can see the connector on the battery in this video i got near the end

Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 AM
ajame01r

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
should be a relay with a brown output that runs the starter. you can run the starter from under the hood. unplug the connector with the brown and red wires and then jump the brown wire to the red wire with a paper clip on the connector attached to the battery. that is how i usually do it when needed. works on all 88-93 as far as i know. you can see the connector on the battery in this video i got near the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U2p610t7Xs
Thanks! Next time I'm out there I'll take a look at that. I need to replace a fuel line under the drivers side before I start it again, last time i started it i got a shower of old gas. XD

Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 PM
ajame01r

**UPDATE** So, I replaced the relay, and was able to start it with the key, but I still had to pull on the rod with pliers. I'm not sure what part is worn out that causes this, but I was able to drive it around a bit for the first time in a few years. Unfortunately other issues that had remained hidden came back to light. The bolt that locks the distributor in place is stripped or something, because after one trip down the dirt road, the timing was way off. Every time I gave it anything more than 1/4 throttle she'd bog. Eventually she died, and the battery didn't have to charge (or won't charge cause it's 10 year old garbage) so we just towed it back to the house for now. We are also stuck with timing it by ear, it is somehow missing the timing tab on the front.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you tried pulling the bolt out? hopefully the bolt is weaker than the block and stripped. it don't have to be super tight. just needs to be snug. i can turn the distributor on my truck and adjust the timing anytime i need without tools but it is still tight enough that it is not going to vibrate to around.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 PM
ajame01r

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
have you tried pulling the bolt out? hopefully the bolt is weaker than the block and stripped. it don't have to be super tight. just needs to be snug. i can turn the distributor on my truck and adjust the timing anytime i need without tools but it is still tight enough that it is not going to vibrate to around.
Once I get a better battery in it, I'll do some more digging. Right now it's bit of a pain. Still have to jump it, and I don't trust the 20 year old rubber shes sitting on to go very far, so it's 5 gallons of gas at a time for now. I don't remember what we decided on the condition of the block threads as it has been several years since we messed with it.

Quick Reply: 1989 Power Ram Not Cranking