1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 W-150 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Daniel86w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 W-150 won’t start

I have an 1986 Dodge Power Ram w-150 4x4 with a 318. It has 167,xxx original miles. I’ve had this truck for 4 years and it has never given me electrical issues till today. I was up in Dallas, TX working and found a job done in Lake Charles, LA and drove it the whole 6 hours and it made it just fine. However, when I arrived that same night I unloaded my stuff into an apt and headed out for some food. I noticed my left turn signal would click once and then stay on. My right signal was clicking slow and dim. I then drove it back home and the next morning the truck turned in fine and took me to where I needed to go and back home (8 mile round trip). The next morning I turned it on and took it for groceries, when I was coming back the radio and cluster all turned off and it was still on so I immediately shut it off. I had a tow truck tow it back home. Took the battery in and got me a brand new Duralast platinum $210.00 battery and took it back home and installed it. Also bought a new alternator and installed it as well. Went to turn the truck on and it worked and I thought I fixed the issue. Next day I drive to work and make it just fine, on the way back it did the same thing.. stereo when off, cluster stopped working and lights went dim. So I had it towed back home again. Took the battery for a charge and tested good with 0% charge. Battery was charged and re installed. Truck turned on just fine again and took it to AutoZone for a charging test and it all passed. Did it twice. Then I realized there where some burnt wires coming out of the main harness from the ecm. So I disconnecrenrhe battery and cut the burnt wires off and installed new wires (don’t worry I matched them correctly) and used heat shrink to connect them together. It was about 5 wires and charged the battery again. Now the truck won’t turn over just sounds like the starter is doing it’s job but it won’t turn over. Hoping this forum can help me. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I do believe those wires are fusible links...... and they can look fine, but, still be burnt, best to replace all of them. (as they all look to be in pretty bad shape.) It's possible you simply didn't go far enough up the wire with your repair. Probe them with a test light, or some such, and make SURE you are getting power thru them.

Question becomes, what smoked them like that.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you sure you didn't knock the starter solenoid wire off while doing your repair? brown wire that connects to the starter relay. if you fixed the rest of the wires properly everything should work as it should.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 AM
dodgetyfn
Amateur

Hello welcome to aboard.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Daniel86w150

So turns out it was the starter relay. Mechanic said that the burnt wires where burnt because it made contact with my fender and it stuck and shorted 4 other wires that he re wired new. Trucks up and running. I’m sorry if not giving much info, I’m not a mechanic. Just know the basics. But thank you for your responses and help.

Quick Reply: 1986 W-150 won’t start