1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 Automatic trans overheated.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 PM
olddaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Automatic trans overheated.......

So, a few weeks ago I towed a trailer full of soil home for my garden. The 5.2 engine and 500 trans got really hot pulling that heavy load. I had to stop repeatedly to cool it off. Since then my trans bucks like the torque converter is locking and un-locking real quickly. It feels like the engine is cutting out, but it's not, its in the trans. Code 37 indicates torque converter clutch solenoid/ Park neutral switch/ Trans temp too high according to my manual. My question is would overheating the trans by towing a really heavy load starting and stopping at lights all the way home damage the TCC solenoid? Would it damage anything else like the torque converter itself? Fluid is clean and red, doesn't smell burnt and at the correct level. I have to pull the pan to do the TCC and filter. Anything else to change while it is off? I appreciate your advice, I'm a novice in the trans department.

Last edited by olddaddy; 10-09-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-09-2018, 06:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you check the fluid level with the transmission in neutral? if the fluid is not burnt i would guess it probably wasn't overheating and there might have been something else going on

Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM
olddaddy

Yep, in neutral, hot- am lifelong Mopar guy, know the drill. I do know the tranny got really hot and am guessing it affected the tcc or something else.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:59 PM
olddaddy

After speaking with a couple of local transmission shops I'm going to drop the pan and check the fluid for metal bits. If the fluid is clean I'll replace the TCC solenoid, filter and add new fluid. Would there be anything else in there I should change while the pan is off?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Band adjustment?

Quick Reply: 93 Automatic trans overheated.......