1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'73 W200 wiring help

Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 AM
82ndVet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 W200 wiring help

Just bought this truck finally got front running lights and headlights, but no instrument cluster lights. Bulbs are good, and I replaced the headlight switch but still won't glow. I only paid $150 for it but it's become a wiring nightmare. Wiper motor has power going to it but wipers nor washer works. Blower did work but has since stopped, it also has power going to the switch. Hate to buy a new wiper motor and blower switch only to find out it's something else.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

but no instrument cluster lights.
Did you check the rheostat?
Look at the terminals and connector on the wiper switch, Any showing sighs of heat/melting? Also check the resistor and terminals. Make sure you have good grounds to everything. And if you are not aware you may want to look at this...
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

make sure the wiper motor is ground good. biggest know issues on all 72-93 trucks. motor grounds thought the bolts that hold it to the body. definitely wouldn't hurt to try hot wiring the motors first to make sure they haven't failed.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:25 PM
82ndVet

What is a rheostat? Not sure what or where it is?
No signs of the wiper switch getting hot.
Also how would I hot wire the motor?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

turn the headlight switch all the way till it clicks. dash lights should come on if that is the issue.

ground the body of the motor and power either terminal closest to the motor body. 1 should be high speed and the other low. the other 2 are for park

Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 PM
82ndVet

Thanks for the link about upgrading the wiring. That is real helpful.
As for turning the headlight switch counter clockwise until it clicks the dash lights still don't glow. So I'm assuming that the rheostat is good. Is this correct?
I picked up a new dimmer switch today so I will install it to see if maybe it helps. I will also test the wiper motor and report back. Thanks for all the great info!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

no the rheostat could still be bad if the lights don't come on when you turn the switch. it is just times a simple and easily overlooked fix. have you tried testing to see if there is power at the light wire at the circuit board? you can also check output of the headlight switch to see if it is putting power out. this if newer trucks but pretty sure it should be the same. also there is a button on the bottom of the headlight switch that you need to press in to get the pull lever out of the switch and is usually the worst part of the job.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 PM
82ndVet

Thanks for the headlight switch schematic crazzywolfie. So after installing a new dimmer switch and hazard flasher I had instrument cluster lights for a few minutes. Then when I was buttoning it all back up they went away. I fiddled with it for a couple hours and never could get them to come back on. The only light that works is the high beam indicator and when I wiggle the plug on the back of the instrument cluster one of the turn signal lights comes on. I checked the pins on the back of the cluster circuit board and a couple are loose and I can turn them. Could this be the problem? If so is there a way to fix them or do I have to buy a new circuit board? Are they even available aftermarket?

Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the is no aftermarket parts like that. you might need to see about soldering it if it is loose enough to cause a bad connection. you can try checking the connector to see if there is power to it for the lights. it should let you know if there may be a problem with the connector.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 PM
82ndVet

Okay thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '73 W200 wiring help