1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM
New Old Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Issues

What is the black box behind the glove box? I think I traced down the dead wire to my distributor. But I'm not sure what that box is or if I'm looking in the right place. My distributor has no power to its plug. So my truck won't even start. I have no idea what to do. It's my first vehicle and I just need help. I love my truck but I can't keep driving it if it keeps dying on me. Any sugestions would help. There's also a black relay that if it gets hit or jostled the engine acts like I turned the key off.

1990 W150 5.9L 360

Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The pick up in the distributor has 3 wires, ground, power and signal. Power is 8 volts to it and it's supplied by the pcm. The relay is probably the ASD relay. Might want look further into that or replace the relay. Any codes? Can you elaborate on "just dying" May be the idle (AIS) motor is going.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 AM
New Old Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
The pick up in the distributor has 3 wires, ground, power and signal. Power is 8 volts to it and it's supplied by the pcm. The relay is probably the ASD relay. Might want look further into that or replace the relay. Any codes? Can you elaborate on "just dying" May be the idle (AIS) motor is going.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html
When it does the engine will just shut off while I'm driving like I turned the key off. No warning. No signs. Itll just turn off. And I'll get back to you on the codes I'm having a hard time reading the flashes. Because the timing is weird. But I'm fairly certain one of them is 11 and another is 12. But it throws 5 6 codes at a time. My uncle believes the ecu is just dead or on its legs. I just don't know enough yet to be certain.

Quick Reply: Engine Issues