1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

89 Dodge ramcharger Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 01:35 AM
dog89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 Dodge ramcharger Electrical Question

Hello everyone i recently picked up a 89 dodge ramcharger with 320 everything seems find but it is a project. all suspension needs to be done and some engine work but i got it cheap but it does have electrical work that i do need help with
first it seems to be having a starting issue and i narrowed down to being electrical because most of the wires that are underneath the dash are spliced due to having a dumb previous owner trying to install a sound system by splicing all the wires and running 4 gauge to the stereo don't know y but yeah pulled all aftermarket wires out and left all original and i'm trying to connect them all back but don't know how to read wiring diagrams
so my question is how can i found out which wire is for what ?

Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I hate getting vehicles where a kid wanted to put a "system" in and started whacking wires.It took me months to get the wiring cleared on on one of my cars because of this. There is a wiring diagram here somewhere on the site. Besides that, a volt/ohm meter and a test light will be your friends here.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

hopefully he didn't mess with much of the under hood harness. the 88-90 trucks were the worst wiring wise. i would love to rewire and simplify my 89 but it would require a lot of work.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:53 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
hopefully he didn't mess with much of the under hood harness. the 88-90 trucks were the worst wiring wise. i would love to rewire and simplify my 89 but it would require a lot of work.
We did exactly that on my son's 89, couldn't throw the original efi components far enough. We put an 87 gas tank and harness which we deleted the original style 87 computer for a 4 pin older Mopar ignition box as we put in a carbd 360 as he previously had SO much trouble with that TBI system. The truck has never run this well as it does now. I have gotten rid of an 88 D150 in past years for that very reason, that TBI SUCKS so bad.
now my son's 90 has been a headache but not as bad as the 88 I had and his 89 was.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: 89 Dodge ramcharger Electrical Question