1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need help serious cold start issues 318

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:05 PM
Jake1214
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help serious cold start issues 92 d150 318

1993 dodge d150 318 fuel injected
so I have this issue with cold starting, when the engine is cold it will fire right up, at times it will instantly have issues while at other times these issues will arise after 5-10 minutes idling or driving. Here's what the issue is, the motor will hessitate bog down rev back up, pop in the exhaust if you accelerate it, if you are driving it will loose power to the point i have to pull off the road until it is warm, it will die sometimes even idling it has stalled out and died as many as 20 times before working correctly and I'll have to start it several times untill it reaches operating tempeture while this is happening the battery guage lowers too but never below 10. When the engine is warm it runs fine and has no issues no matter how long you drive it. I've had the battery and alternator tested they are fine I've replaced spark plugs gap set at 35, wires, ignition coil,( distributor looks new no grime on it), fuel pump and filter, cam/crank sensor, coolant temp sensor, manifold temp sensor, throttle position sensor, cleaned out breather, cleaned egr valve, cleaned pcv, cleaned (partially) throttle body, cleaned idle control valve, I've checked to see if plenum gasket is blown it might be doesn't have significant vacuum from breather if pcv is unplugged and blocked off, but inside intake looks dirty, I have had this at a mechanic shop two months they can't find the issue I've been trying to fix it myself but cannot seem to find the issue if anyone can help me with this I will greatly appreciate it

Last edited by Jake1214; 10-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Jake1214

I can tell you the codes it throws but none seem to be related or I've replaced those parts

Old 10-20-2018, 09:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

considering the long list of parts about the only thing that might be left is probably the computer. it may also explain why the issue is not immediate every time

Old 10-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Jake1214

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
considering the long list of parts about the only thing that might be left is probably the computer. it may also explain why the issue is not immediate every time

I haven't thought of this but I am not sure that a faulty pcm or ecm would only cause cold start and cold running issues and not give me problems after warmed up to operating tempeture also I've hared a blown plenum could cause this but I really hope it's not the issue I don't have the time money or tools to replace it, it comes as a three peice set all of which I probably would need because I highly doubt the stock steel plenum plate has been upgraded to an aluminum one this may also be a compression issue I've not had compression tested yet and I have no idea how many miles are on this truck or if the motor is original casting numbers match but can't find Vin on block odometer does not work and is stuck at 90960 I had a Camaro that needed new intake gasket and it was quite the ordeal took me two days to get it on there and get the timing set also I am throwing a code saying timing chain has skipped one of more teeth I am not sure if this could cause this issue or is actually a result of this issue

Last edited by Jake1214; 10-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i know someone that use to have a 93 that never liked starting in the cold but roll it into the heated shop and let it sit for a bit and it would all of a sudden start working like it should. computers can start getting temperamental and failing with age.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Jake1214

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i know someone that use to have a 93 that never liked starting in the cold but roll it into the heated shop and let it sit for a bit and it would all of a sudden start working like it should. computers can start getting temperamental and failing with age.
Ah, I will have this checked if a test can possibly be done on it. Do you know if there is a test for it? Also it's not cold outside really maybe 50 or 45 degrees at it's lowest asaof recent. The tempet has just began dropping here in Arkansas, this may make sense though after I replaced/ cleaned several parts today (replaced coolant temp sensor and manifold temp sensor, cleaned egr, pcv, and idcv,) the engine was vounerable to ambiant sunlight and still warm to the touch.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Jake1214

I am no ase certified mechanic by any means by the way but am somewhat knoledgable of how a vehicle works ( if I was forced to build my own engine I could accomplish it with the proper tools)

Old 10-21-2018, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

List the codes anyway.

Try unplugging the O2 sensor, and see if anything changes.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Jake1214

Originally Posted by HeyYou
List the codes anyway.

Try unplugging the O2 sensor, and see if anything changes.
Forgot to mention that o2 sensor was replaced as well... Hard to keep up with this long list of parts I've put in it lol might be something else missing

Codes
12 battery unplugged
11 skipped teeth on timing chain/belt
24 throttle position sensor out of range... It's new
54 no cam signal at pcm, cam/crank sensors new 55 end codes

Old 10-21-2018, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

That code 11 could certainly be a problem....... Think that is something I would check first.

Turn the engine so number 1 is in firing position, and see where the rotor on the distributor is pointing.

Quick Reply: I need help serious cold start issues 318