1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good old truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:18 PM
woodysand
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that and I couldn't see a definite mist but I could see where the tiny droplets were hitting the venture in the throttle body. I can't judge if this was enough fuel. The thing is the truck doesn't miss and chug and sputter. It just doesn't want to accelerate over 65 while on the flat. I had a thought last night while pondering this crazy thing and I wondered if maybe it had rolled a tooth on the timing chain and the valves and crank were out of time. I've driven old cars that have done this and they didn't miss but they had no power. I'm not sure how to check this without taking off the cover.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Can you take a video of the spray pattern?

Old 08-10-2021, 11:35 PM
woodysand
Rookie

I can tomorrow.
Thanks

Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

make sure to have the camera's light on or you will likely not be able to see the spray pattern. i doubt it has skipped a tooth. there is a possibility the timing chain has stretched but doubt it should be limiting your top speed. also is there a specific rpm that it falls on its face? if so can you get it to fall on its face at the same rpm in 1st or 2nd gear?

Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM
woodysand
Rookie

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
make sure to have the camera's light on or you will likely not be able to see the spray pattern. i doubt it has skipped a tooth. there is a possibility the timing chain has stretched but doubt it should be limiting your top speed. also is there a specific rpm that it falls on its face? if so can you get it to fall on its face at the same rpm in 1st or 2nd gear?
I got a pretty good video. I don't know if it attached or not but here goes. If it doesn't I'll try again

Old 08-12-2021, 01:59 PM
woodysand
Rookie

Sorry, I can't figure how to convert my video to a format that the forum will accept. I ca see the mist in the video. The issue is over the whole rpm range. It will accelerate slower at lower speeds after the transmission has shifted out but even then with little power. The engine doesn't miss. It seems to be quiet smooth but just super weak.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by woodysand
Sorry, I can't figure how to convert my video to a format that the forum will accept. I ca see the mist in the video. The issue is over the whole rpm range. It will accelerate slower at lower speeds after the transmission has shifted out but even then with little power. The engine doesn't miss. It seems to be quiet smooth but just super weak.

I generally will upload the video to Youtube then post a link to it. My computer training was on a military surplus computer from Vietnam. Including a bullet hole in the case, no monitor just a teletype console and two BIG magnetic reels. Things have changed a bit since then.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 08-12-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 08-12-2021, 08:09 PM
woodysand
Rookie

Yes indeed they have. I did what you said about youtube and here it is.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

That looks pretty normal for idle. Might run some fuel injection cleaner thru it though....

Old 08-13-2021, 10:59 AM
woodysand
Rookie

Thanks. I’ll keep looking

Quick Reply: Good old truck