DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2008 - Current Dodge Avenger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-current-dodge-avenger-115/)
-   -   2.7 engine.... afraid of it... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-current-dodge-avenger/115704-2-7-engine-afraid-of-it.html)

charlesj 07-18-2007 03:04 PM

2.7 engine.... afraid of it...

Hi gents,

I'm a Mazda 6 owner right now and I'm looking towards this beauty Avenger 2008. I'm pretty desapointed in the Mazda cause the car is really noisy with the 4 cylinder engine, cabin is not well isolated... and the most I still cannot unclutch properly with the manual transmission. All my previous car were manual and never had that problem. I'm getting older, I use a cell phone frequently while driving, I think is time for me for an auto transmission. I went to test drive the new Avenger I liked right away. I tried both 4 cylinder and 2.7 V6. I really feel that the 2.7 is more adequate for this car. Not that I don't like the 4 cylinder but I can heard and feel that he's working harder. Since I'm a road warrior (salesman), I better pick the right engine now.

Now I'm comming to the point, I'm really afraid of the 2.7 engine. I read horror stories on this site, on Dodge Talk site and across the internetabout serious oil sludge problems and timing chain that ONLY affect the 2.7 engine. A lot of people had engine failure around 80K miles and this problem has been ignoredby Chrysler. More than that, Chrysler blamed their customers that it was a poor maintenance issue while it was not the case.

I would like to know if they have fixed this problem, if not what can I do to prevent a such expensive failure? Is there anybody that own a new Avenger with high milage that can give me his feedback?

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Charles

dgpilot 07-18-2007 06:37 PM

RE: 2.7 engine.... afraid of it...

I read either on this forum, or another Dodge forum that they had already fixed the 2.7 issues.

SueK 07-18-2007 10:37 PM

As for 4 cyl. it's a 16 valve and mine is quick. I was thinking the same thing about the size of the car and the size of the engine. I talked to a few friends that work on cars that said the 4's today are much more powerful and there's no need to worry. I am totally satisfied with the power.Sure it's not an R/T,But I'm still having fun driving it. I am a car lover and I do notice everything. If I thought this car was bad I would NEVER recommend it. Someone said a while back about passing trucks on the parkway was not good,Bull. This thing takes off. I heard these engines (2.7)are totally revamped since the trouble they had in the past. I wish I could remember the link to it. djpilot is right, The post is out there somewhere.

charlesj 07-20-2007 11:45 PM

I feel a little better now...

Thanks

Charles

SueK 07-21-2007 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: charlesj

I feel a little better now...

Thanks

Charles
That's good. I don't think you'll have any problems. You'll love the car. It's fun to drive and you'll get lots of compliments too.

SueK 08-20-2007 05:35 PM

So Charles, What are you buying?

97 3.5 Intrepid 08-29-2007 11:36 PM

If you want to play it extra safe, use synthetic oil. I'd give the 3.5L a possible look. I can tell you they are pretty smooth and reliable, not to mention powerful.

Newton 09-04-2007 06:23 PM

Your Mazda 6 is a far better car than the Avenger. As Mazda is about to launch their new "6" there will be some great deals around on the outgoing model.

If I had 20+ grand to spend on a mid size sport sedanright now, I'd be giving my money to Mazda, the Dodge Avenger just isn't worth it. When the resale values start to crash(and they will) and you can pick up a V6 Avenger for $16,000 as I did with my 2004 Stratus, then I would buy one, but not before.

regandon 09-04-2007 08:01 PM

The Avenger is a well built car and mostof thecomplaints about the 2.7L are the older ones from yrs past. As for the Mazda 6 being better ? I doubt it very much. If (Newton)you are talking about HP and TQ, do not believe all you hear comeing from Mazda. Dodge has been correct on their HP and TQ rateings for yrs, and not overstating the out put as others do. Just take motor for motor and you will see that Ma Mopar's have been on top for yrs. Also Newton, how many National Drag title's has Mazda wonwith their motors ? I don't know sothat is why I ask. How many NASCAR race's have they won ? The fact is, is that Mazda has always been a company that plays catch up, and never leads.

SueK 09-04-2007 08:19 PM

Hey here's a Mazda Forum if you wanna go http://www.mazdaforum.com/ Just kidding, Just kidding:D