DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2008 - Current Dodge Avenger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-current-dodge-avenger-115/)
-   -   3.5L R/T AWD 6 speed auto jerking in every gear at 1500rpm (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-current-dodge-avenger/146829-3-5l-r-t-awd-6-speed-auto-jerking-in-every-gear-at-1500rpm.html)

Canadian Avenger 02-09-2008 06:19 PM

3.5L R/T AWD 6 speed auto jerking in every gear at 1500rpm

Has anyone had the problem of the motor acting up at 1500 rpm? It doesn't matter if I have this in full auto or slap stick. Can the transmission be givingthe motormixed messages? or does the motor just like to act up. Otherwise a fine ride. At 1500 rpm, it happens to be the speed limit in this Canadian city, what a pain.....

nightshade72 02-22-2008 04:21 PM

RE: 3.5L R/T AWD 6 speed auto jerking in every gear at 1500rpm

Yeah.. I have the exact same issue. I have an 08 Avenger RT AWD. I just picked it up yesterday..

Under mild acceleration you can feel the power pulled from the engine when shifting.. and when slowing down to a stop you can hear it clunk going from 2nd to first.

I asked if there were any TSB's or updates for my car.. they say that they looked but that may not be the case.. they didn't have alot of time to prep the car for my arrival.

ORIGINAL: Canadian Avenger

Has anyone had the problem of the motor acting up at 1500 rpm? It doesn't matter if I have this in full auto or slap stick. Can the transmission be givingthe motormixed messages? or does the motor just like to act up. Otherwise a fine ride. At 1500 rpm, it happens to be the speed limit in this Canadian city, what a pain.....

nightshade72 02-22-2008 10:19 PM

This doesn't apply to me, my MDH is 082114

NUMBER: 21-003-08
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: January 15, 2008

SUBJECT:
Flash: Torque Converter Shudder with Coordinated Change OR Shift Quality Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software if shift harshness is the symptom/condition - OR - if shudder is the symptom/condition, reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and replacing the torque converter with one that includes revised friction material.

MODELS:
2007 (JS41) Sebring
2007 - 2008 (JS41) Avenger
2008 (JS27) Sebring Convertible

NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 2.7L or 3.5L engine and 41TE or 62TE automatic transmission (Sales Codes DFF or DG2) built prior to July 23, 2007 (MDH0723XX).

NOTE: This bulletin DOES NOT apply to JS models equipped with a 2.4L engine.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
1. Transmission Shudder
a. This condition can only occur after the vehicle has been driven and the torque converter is past the break in period. Torque Converter break in can be confirmed with the StarSCANr.
b. If experienced, the shudder may occur when the transmission temperature is between 38° C and 54° C (100° F and 130° F) during steady state driving with the torque converter in partial lock (EMCC) operation. The shudder feels like the vehicle is being driven over rumble strips.
2. Torque Converter Pull In Bump
a. This condition can occur due to abrupt torque converter clutch engagement during EMCC initialization.
3. Shift Harshness
a. Models equipped with a 2.7L engine & 41TE transmission may exhibit 1 - 2 upshift harshness.
b. Models equipped with a 3.5L engine & 62TE transmission may exhibit 1 - 2 or 2 - 3 upshift harshness.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCANr) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

If the vehicle operator describes the Symptom/Conditions and they can be verified, perform the appropriate Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification
AR(1) 68039260AA Torque Converter, (41TE) 2.7L JS w/revised friction (EMCC1) material
AR(1) 68036990AA Torque Converter, (62TE) 3.5L JS w/revised friction (EMCC1) material

SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH9401 StarSCANr Tool
CH9404D StarSCANr Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCANr Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCANr Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCANr Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent

REPAIR PROCEDURE - USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:

NOTE: When performing this Repair Procedure, the software release level in the StarSCANr; must be programmed with 8.04 level software or higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of the StarSCANr screen.

NOTE: The StarSCANr diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity.
However, to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the StarSCANr for your dealership's network. Make sure the StarSCANr is configured to the dealership's network before proceeding. For instruction on setting up your StarSCANr for the dealer's network refer to either: "DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation", or refer to the StarSCANr Quick Start Networking Guide.

NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.

1. Perform the Repair associated with the Symptom/Condition as follows:
a. If Shudder is experienced begin with step 2 - replace the torque converter and reprogram the PCM.
b. If Shift Harshness is experienced begin with step 3 - reprogram the PCM.
2. Replace the Torque Converter - Use the appropriate part number listed in the parts table above - Follow detailed service procedures listed in DealerCONNECT>TechCONNECT for Torque Converter replacement.
3. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
4. Connect the CH9410 StarSCANr ethernet cable to the StarSCANr and the dealer's network drop.
5. Connect the CH9404D StarSCANr vehicle cable to the StarSCANr and the vehicle.
6. Power ON the StarSCANr.
7. Turn the ignition switch on.
8. Retrieve the old PCM part number. Using the StarSCANr at the "Home" screen:
a. Select "ECU View"
b. Touch the screen to highlight the PCM in the list of modules.
c. Select "More Options"
d. Select "ECU Flash"
e. Record the part number at the top of the "Flash PCM" screen for later reference.
f. Select "Browse for New File". Follow the on screen instructions.
g. Select "Download to Scantool".
h. Select "Close" after the download is complete, then select "Back".
i. Highlight the listed calibration.
j. Select "Update Controller". Follow on screen instructions.
k. When the update is complete, select "OK".
l. Verify the part number at the top of the "Flash PCM" screen has updated to the new part number.
9. After flash reprogramming, be sure to Perform these additional Repair Steps::
a. Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters, found in the StarSCANr Misc Function Menu. VLP Clear Counters must be completed on all models with a 62TE transmission or if DTC P1745 appears on other transmission applications.
b. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming.
c. Perform the Quick Learn function, found in the StarSCANr Misc Function Menu.
d. Select the TCC Break In, found in the StarSCANr Misc Function Menu and select "Start TCC Break In".

NOTE: Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKREEM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the "Home" screen select "System View". Then select "All DTCs". Press "Clear All Stored DTCs" if there are any DTCs shown on the list.

NOTE: The following step is required by law when reprogramming a PCM and/or TCM.

10. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label

nightshade72 02-22-2008 10:23 PM

And that TSB is for upshift harshness, not what I am experiencing (downshift harshness)

I am also told that they might be able to lessen closed throttle 2-1 downshift harshness but getting rid of it entirely might not be possible. New VLP (variable line pressure) transmissions have been having this issue since day 1. Still waiting for a fix from Chrysler.

Strongit 04-25-2008 03:11 PM

I seem to be having similar issues with mine. I didn't notice it at first, but it does shudder ever so slightly at around 1500 rpm. Also, the downshifts are a bit harsh from 1-2 and 2-3, so I think I may have to take it in to have them reprogram it...strange, considering I picked mine up last month. I would have thought they would have done something like that at the factory.

I'll check my manufacture date to find out if I need to take it in and edit the post when I find out.

Brokay 04-25-2008 04:06 PM

Strongit what dealerdid you purchase yours from. I'm also from Calgary and I would be interested in knowing if there is a dealer here thatacknowledges the problems and has fixed them.

ORIGINAL: Strongit

I seem to be having similar issues with mine. I didn't notice it at first, but it does shudder ever so slightly at around 1500 rpm. Also, the downshifts are a bit harsh from 1-2 and 2-3, so I think I may have to take it in to have them reprogram it...strange, considering I picked mine up last month. I would have thought they would have done something like that at the factory.

I'll check my manufacture date to find out if I need to take it in and edit the post when I find out.

klibby 04-25-2008 06:01 PM

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same thing. I haven't really noticed if it's always been at 1500RPM, but mine seems tohiccup when going from 2nd to 3rd sometimes when I first drive it in the morning,also I havenoticedthe harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. It feels like it downshifts a little late.

Strongit 04-25-2008 08:44 PM

Just check my manufacturing date, and it looks like the notice doesn't apply to my car. It was made January of this year. I guess I'll talk to the dealer and find out what my options are.

Brokay, I bought my car from Courtesy Chrysler down in the auto mall. I actually live up North, but I've had good experiences with Courtesy and somewhat....worse experiences with Eastside Dodge, the one closest to where I live. Courtesy's excellent for customer service as the sales rep actually pointed out a scratch that was on my bumper when I picked it up. She said that they probably could have used some touch up paint, but they're fixing it right at the body shop for free. I even picked up some touch up paint there myself just in case, and they gave me a discount because I already knew the paint code.

I would highly recommend going to them with any issues you have. I may be going there tomorrow to talk to the service department about the issues, they're open till 1 on Saturdays.

Brokay 04-25-2008 09:15 PM

I picked up mine from Varsity, the sales people are great but I have learnt the hard way, that the service side is just terrible. The only reason I deal with them is because it's so close to where I work. I also have an issue with my drivers window that they seem to think is normal, I beg to differ.

If you could keep us posted about Courtesy's findings, I know myself and others would greatly appreciate it.

ORIGINAL: Strongit

Just check my manufacturing date, and it looks like the notice doesn't apply to my car. It was made January of this year. I guess I'll talk to the dealer and find out what my options are.

Brokay, I bought my car from Courtesy Chrysler down in the auto mall. I actually live up North, but I've had good experiences with Courtesy and somewhat....worse experiences with Eastside Dodge, the one closest to where I live. Courtesy's excellent for customer service as the sales rep actually pointed out a scratch that was on my bumper when I picked it up. She said that they probably could have used some touch up paint, but they're fixing it right at the body shop for free. I even picked up some touch up paint there myself just in case, and they gave me a discount because I already knew the paint code.

I would highly recommend going to them with any issues you have. I may be going there tomorrow to talk to the service department about the issues, they're open till 1 on Saturdays.

pbearfin 04-26-2008 04:39 PM

I bought My Avenger R/T AWD back in June of 08. I have had a concern many times since 1,100 miles. Starting around 20k she would lock all wheels and skid for a split second. All I ever got from the dealer is a reflash and the look of "you are on some good drugs sir"
3 weeks ago at 32k it did it for the 7th time. But this time I was on a two lane off ramp and slid into another car when it locked up. The good news is I only scuffed the bumper. Bad news I have no clue who I hit because they didn't stick around. Great more looks of disbelief. But the car decided that it had had enough and continued to degrade that night finally leaving that lovely check engine light on. The pulled the codes put a range selection switch in. When the tech drove it they said it finally did exactly what I have been telling them for the past 30k. Wow you mean I wasn't making it up. They have had it over three weeks now and all I know is they had the Trans appart last week waiting for national back ordered parts. Haven't heard from them since last week, I am done I will never do this again. This is the worst service I have ever delt with. The only reason I haven't gone ballistic is they were nice enoungh to put me in a rental because Chrysler doesn't cover rentals. An 08 Hyundia Sonata 2.4l Yay IT SHIFTS PERFECTLY