2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

GPS doesn't know where it is!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
TheBrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS doesn't know where it is!

On the way home from work last Friday the GPS in my 2008 Avenger had my location off by a hundred feet or so -- it had me on a road parallel to the highway I was actually on (it was working fine that morning). By Saturday it had decided I was driving around in Lake Erie (I do live west of Cleveland, so I guess it's not <i>that<i/> far off). Doesn't seem to have gotten any worse (or better) since Saturday. I haven't upgraded since the CD I got in the mail last summer (don't recall the #). Any ideas on what caused it or, better, suggestions on how to fix it?
-Brian

Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like it could be an antenna issue. I do not have a factory GPS unit, so I am unfamiliar with those, but they all should work about the same.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 PM
TheBrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: It suddenly started working again.

I'm starting to see a pattern of sorts in the random electrical weirdness happening in this car: one-touch window feature sometimes not working, radio suddenly 'rebooting', GPS going on a walkabout, losing some feature on the radio (steering wheel controls, volume **** on radio not working, touch screen unresponsive, "Guide me home" in GPS acting like "Home" address isn't set up"). Mind you, none of these happen at the same time, most have happened repeatedly (though randomly) and all of them eventually fix themselves, sometimes in minutes, sometimes in days.

I've never owned a Dodge before... is this normal behavior? I'm starting to worry about other electrical components going haywire, like the switch tot he airbags! Of course, the dealer says they can't find anything wrong...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You might check with the dealer and see if there is an updated reflash available for the computer. It controls everything in the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS doesn't know where it is!