2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Help! "stealership" giving me the runaround

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
dpchmdluver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! "stealership" giving me the runaround

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that seemed to be just fine. Last winter I started stalling out at idle, and I found the car "chugging" and "sputtering" during acceleration. I called the dealership where I bought the car, and was told that the stalling could be normal due to the cold temperatures we were having, and not to worry if the emergency lights (ie: engine light) did not come on. We had been driving the car for over an hour, it was well warmed up by that point!

I took the car in to have them look at the issue, they ended up doing a "piece of mind" service, which had nothing to do with the issue I was having. They told me the throttle body needed to be cleaned, new PCV valve needed to be replaced, and oil change.

My car is now doing what people call "hard shifting" upon acceleration also when I am slowing down it will "buck". I have no idea what the issue is seen as the throttle body is clean, and we replaced the PVC valve, and oil change. Asked the dealership to do a transmission service at 48000kms, and was told I should not have to do that yet.

I am worried that it could be my transmission, and it will fail, then I will have to replace it at my own cost because my powertrain warranty will not cover it after so many kms and no tranny service done.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I should be looking for, and what the cause of this problem is? I bought gasline antifreeze and used it (did not work), I bought "Lucas" transmission stuff to stop "hard shifting" (did not work), replaced PVC valve (did not work), throttle body is clean, but I plan on doing that this weeked.....any other ideas?

PLEASE HELP! THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, AND THE "STEALERSHIP" IS NOT HELPING ME SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THEY WANT ME TO SPEND A FORTUNE FOR SOMETHING THAT MAY END UP COSTING ME VERY LITTLE TO DO MYSELF.

THANKING ALL IN ADVANCE

Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

The transmission is electronically controlled and no magic mechanic in a can will ever help it out. infact, if it does die and has warranty, don't be surprised if the deal rejects the warranty because of dumping that stuff in. Oh and they can and will have oil analysis done if they suspect anything 'funny' in the oil. sounds like you got taken to the cleaners when they did those 3 stupid fixes. Any chugging is ABNORMAL no matter what temp. Whom every said it's normal when cold is a moron and should get a kick in the nuts.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

So you don't if the dealer had looked up TSB's and any flash updates or Recall for your car? Don't put anything other than what mopar whats you put into that car for now. There was two problems with 2008 avenger and sebrings on stalling, one was the ESIM valve and the other was the ABS wires that did not go to any sensors..... That was a Recall. Call the 800 number and tell customer service the great time you had with your dealer.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM
dpchmdluver

Thanks. I called the dealership to see about recalls, they said everything was done (and while I was in possesion of the car, yet I did not take it in for any recall work).
I booked it in to have a look at the transmission, and raised hell.
We will see what happens now. I agree that someone should be kicked in the nuts...lmao. I am going to have oil change done before I go, so they can't bill me for that at their prices.
Hopefully we will get some answers as to what the problem is.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This kind of customer service is unacceptable. No wonder so many dealers have a bad reputation. I would contact Chrysler as well. They are in a position where they need to keep all of us loyal Mopar owners around. This kind of service is bad for business!!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
72combo
Champion

They are fighting for business around here, service is way better than it used to be. What I don't like and I always refuse to pay for it is when they do stuff that you didn't ask them too. Like you bring it in because the wheels have a vibration, they do an oil change, charge you for tire rotation when part of their warranty fix was rotate tires. Basically they did that piece of crap service. Does not happen to me anymore they must have flagged my computer info. LOL

Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am fotunate that my dealer is not like that with me. They have even done a little extra from time to time for free.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Hackdawg

WOW! Dirty SOB"S

Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hackdawg
If you are having a problem with a dealer, call 1-800-992-1997. That number is for the chrysler customer center. They maybe able to help with the problem that you were having.

Quick Reply: Help! "stealership" giving me the runaround