2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Replacement key or fob and alarms

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 AM
ZeeVert
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement key or fob and alarms

I just got a 2011 Avenger. It's a salvage/rebuild, so it's no surprise that it came with only one key.
Apparently, getting a 2nd key is not a do it yourself job on Chryslers.
I went to the dealer and a new key/fob was going to be $200, so I opted to cheap-out and just get a plain "grey" key for $100.
The Parts guy cuts the key and checks the fit in door and ignition. Then a Mechanic has to program it. Took about an hour.

An interesting thing about the plain key... If you lock the door with the fob, it's sets the security system. When you unlock the door with the Grey key, the alarm goes off. When you put the Grey key in the ignition, the alarm turns off and the car will start.

But if you lock the door with the grey key.... no alarm set, no issue.

So, this just a heads-up to the unsuspecting. The dealer guys didn't seem to know that would happen.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeVert
I just got a 2011 Avenger. It's a salvage/rebuild, so it's no surprise that it came with only one key.
Apparently, getting a 2nd key is not a do it yourself job on Chryslers.
I went to the dealer and a new key/fob was going to be $200, so I opted to cheap-out and just get a plain "grey" key for $100.
The Parts guy cuts the key and checks the fit in door and ignition. Then a Mechanic has to program it. Took about an hour.

An interesting thing about the plain key... If you lock the door with the fob, it's sets the security system. When you unlock the door with the Grey key, the alarm goes off. When you put the Grey key in the ignition, the alarm turns off and the car will start.

But if you lock the door with the grey key.... no alarm set, no issue.

So, this just a heads-up to the unsuspecting. The dealer guys didn't seem to know that would happen.

Zeevert,

That is because the fob has the chip in it that connects with the security system.

Quick Reply: Replacement key or fob and alarms