2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Problem with windshield wipers on my 08 Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
eneskaragic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with windshield wipers on my 08 Avenger

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I am hoping someone can help me with my problem.

I am having an issue with my windshield wipers on my 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT.

When I place them in first and second on position they work like normal.. Once I place them in the higher speeds they will start working and then stop (usually stop in the middle of my windshield or at the bottom) I can change the position back down and they will start moving again. If I switch back up to higher speed they will stop again.

This has become a dangerous situation when I am driving to work and it starts to rain heavily. I need to get it fixed asap. I took it to my dodge dealership and they quoted me around $450. I don't have that kind of money at this time.

My friend is a car mechanic and said I should go buy a new motor for the windshield wipers. Once I bought that, he helped me replace the old one and unfortunately, that did not fix my problem. Our next thought was that the wiper combination switch may be at fault. So I have ordered that part for about 60 bucks from AutoZone.

I was hoping someone could give me some instructions on how to replace the combination switch.

Do you guys think its the combination switch at fault or could it be something else?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Lift up the driver's side of the cowl, (the plastic panel under the wipers) and trace where the wiring comes in from the engine compartment. Look under the bottom of the wire bundle and see if it's getting rubbed by the wiper linkage moving back and forth.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Home Team Association
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Avenger Windshield Wipers

If you’re having a problem with your wipers stopping in the middle or just cutting off and not working, lift the steering column up....Now with you middle finger and you index finger reach under the steering wheel and drag those two fingers toward yourself and you’ll feel a small opening, Got it? Good, slightly give those cluster of wires a nudge while turning on your wipers at full speed.

It worked for me so far and my air is not coming out hot either so later I’m going to give it a closer look but I’m pretty sure that’s the problem I’ve tried everything on this forum and nothing worked so I hope this gives you an insight to this small problem.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2018, 11:46 AM
guapoman2000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eneskaragic
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I am hoping someone can help me with my problem.

I am having an issue with my windshield wipers on my 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT.

When I place them in first and second on position they work like normal.. Once I place them in the higher speeds they will start working and then stop (usually stop in the middle of my windshield or at the bottom) I can change the position back down and they will start moving again. If I switch back up to higher speed they will stop again.

This has become a dangerous situation when I am driving to work and it starts to rain heavily. I need to get it fixed asap. I took it to my dodge dealership and they quoted me around $450. I don't have that kind of money at this time.

My friend is a car mechanic and said I should go buy a new motor for the windshield wipers. Once I bought that, he helped me replace the old one and unfortunately, that did not fix my problem. Our next thought was that the wiper combination switch may be at fault. So I have ordered that part for about 60 bucks from AutoZone.

I was hoping someone could give me some instructions on how to replace the combination switch.

Do you guys think its the combination switch at fault or could it be something else?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Excuse me but, this mimics an identical situation of someone posting a YouTube Video and it is associated with the TOTAL INTEGRATED POWER MODULE and yes, the Avenger has one according to a few Auto Parts Outlets.

YouTube:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...efect-petition

Chrysler TIPM failures result in a variety of safety-related issues in multiple vehicle components, many of which have the potential for destructive results. Not only do Chrysler's faulty TIPMs result in vehicle stalling, they have also been implicated in airbag non-deployment, random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity, power windows going up and down on their own, failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration, and fires. In the interim, these owners remain at the mercy of a defect which many have likened to the vehicle being possessed and uncontrollable. A look at consumer complaints filed with CAS suggests a better name for the TIPM—Totally Inept Power Module.

Quick Reply: Problem with windshield wipers on my 08 Avenger