2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2008 Dodge Avenger Shift Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Herzul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Avenger Shift Cable Replacement - SOLVED-

*SOLVED*
Edit: It ended up being the bushing for the shift cable on the shifters side. Cable is removable from access just to the hood but it would be a lot easier with 2 people than trying to do it alone to save from a lot of back and forth trying to get the rubber casing to fit into the hole.
*SOLVED*

So my wife's 2008 dodge avenger recently broke down, where it is unable to shift from park using the shifter, yet the shifter moves freely from Park to Low when the break peddle is pressed(break lights work fine too).

I have taken apart the center console area around the shifter and everything appears to be in working order, even the stupid pink plastic thing that I see is the common cause for this issue.

I managed to get it home by just moving the transmission lever from park to drive manually, and the automatic gear shift seems to be working fine, so I am led to believe that the only other thing that can cause this issue is the shift cable itself.

I am currently trying to find out how exactly one would go about replacing the cable, as I have never done anything of the like before, and I was wanting to know if I need to jack the car up to access the cable from underneath, or if there was a way to do it through the hood.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Last edited by Herzul; 07-16-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Solved