2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2008 Avenger 3.5 R/T AWD - Clicking after engine swap.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Chromdillion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Avenger 3.5 R/T AWD - Clicking after engine swap.

Good day folks! I have a 2008 R/T AWD Avenger. I purchased 2nd hand at 144k miles, routine oil changes completed, aside from cosmetic blemishes, the car was mechanically maintained. However; the timing belt had never been replaced. Unfortunately, the belt snapped at 150,017 miles, thus resulting in valve damage.

I found a used 3.5 on eBay, for $850, with 108k miles. Jumped on it and purchased. My father and I removed the old block from the vehicle, replaced the timing belt, tensioner, pulley, and water pump on the replacement block.

After about a month of only weekend work, we finally got the replacement motor in the vehicle and starting with 0 engine codes. Filled with 10w-30 non synthetic, STP filter.

Everything went smooth after start up. Car was running fantastic, up until it warmed up. After normal running temp (temp gauge at half) the clicking becomes present, and becomes steady. Increases/decreases with RPM. A 1 mi test drive, low RPM, no faster than 40mph, the clicking remains.

Replaced both rocker assemblies, no change. Mechanical stethoscope yields strongest sound in the front valve train. We had a mechanic do a free basic diagnosis, whom believes it is possibly a bad wrist pin.

We ran some Lucas oil treatment, which faintly lowered the clicking, but has not cleared it entirely.

Any tips/suggestions we may look into before we pull the motor and tear the old/new blocks apart?

Also, can I link YouTube videos I have taken of the engine idling while cold/ticking when warm?

Thanks folks!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 PM
streetspeed 780
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Hi, I just got a 2008 dodge avenger 3.5 RT front wheel drive and the motor is done so I got a new engine that I'm going to replace but honestly I HAVE NO IDEA how to start and I have been looking for videos to have an idea but I haven't find any, if you can help me I will appreciate so much thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Avenger 3.5 R/T AWD - Clicking after engine swap.