2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

climate control actuator problem...i think?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
alollich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control actuator problem...i think?

Hello,

My sister has a 2012 Avenger with an climate control issue. The car is a single climate control not a dual climate control. The center right vent will blow cold air when the a/c is on. The far right vent blows slightly warmer air than the center right vent but its still cold. The center left and far left vent blow ambient temp air (not hot, not cold, but somewhere in the middle). As I understand there are three actuators under the dash. Two on the passenger side behind the glove box and one on the drivers side to the right of the steering column. I pulled the glove box and listed to the actuators as I turned the ***** on the dash and ran it thru hot/cold, positions and recirculate. There is no clicking or obvious noise coming from any of the three actuators. Placing my hand on them when they move I dont feel anything to glaring wrong with them.

Can anyone confirm the function of each of the three actuators? It looks like the recirculation is controlled by the actuator to the right of the blower. The actuator to the left of the blower is the blend door. The actuator on the drivers side controls the position (head, feet , defrost, etc...). Does that sound right?

The vents that blow cold air blow very cold air. It does not seem like a freon issue it seems like a blend door issue. I did not have a my hi side low side gauge with me when I checked it but I did have a quick fill gauge which just generically reads low, full, overfull and it fell intot eh higher side of full. While not the most accurate gauge in the world its good enough to tell me that the system is not super low or empty. From what I have read about this car it does not have the ability to control temp from side to side like a dual zone system so I find it odd that its warm on the left and cold on the right.

Any help confirming the function of each actuator is much appreciated.
Thank you

Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 AM
alollich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a follow up the issue was not related to any of the actuators. After checking both the high and low side pressures the pressure was well below the amount required per the ambient temp. Proves the quick fix can gauges are not all that accurate as it read the system was overfilled at one point. Added a couple more ounces and a little bit of sealer and the air is ice cold out of all vents now. Ended up at about 50 psi low at and 300 psi high with an ambient between 95 and 100 degrees. Will have to go back and find the leak, but for now the car has cold air and that's more important. Also I believe i was wrong in my previous statement. The drivers side actuator controls the temperature and the left one on the glove box controls the position and far right in the glove box controls recirc.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: climate control actuator problem...i think?