2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

new avenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new avenger

ORIGINAL: Midnight

Looks like the Avenger beats the Grand Prix, except for horsepower. Why buy the Avenger when you can get a Charger? The Avenger looks MUCH better. Much more aggressive. The Charger makes me smile. The Avenger makes me drool.

The Avenger will sell. It's an agressive, sportycar that's going to compete with a bunch of boring and dull mid-size sedans.

Give me a silver RT AWD please...

or SRT...

The Avenger cant even beat the Accord, let alone the Grand Prix. The only place the Avenger wins is in price.....by about $2,000..however...you're getting a faster, bigger car in the Grand Prix....and in the AWD configuration....the price on the Avenger is dead even....and almost 400lbs heavier...

Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HA Go look at one in person and test drive one, like I did today. Sealed the deal for me. I want one bad.

So the Avenger is heavier with AWD. Big deal, it's only about 2 of me heavier. AWD is not a bad thing, if it is to someone, then they can get FWD. The Avenger is only 85 pounds heavier without AWD...

The Grand Prix almost isn't even mid-size, I'm buying a mid-size sedan, not a boat...

It doesn't have as many horses as it's competitors. Sure, that bothers me, it can be solved. Funny that the supercharged 3.8 only gets 25 more horsepower than the neutered 3.5. A few mods can get me to 260...

But for the price, look, style, comfort, functionabilityand feel. I wouldn't go anywhere else for a mid-size car. Honestly, I'm not seeing how the GT would be better, or why I should buy a Charger. The Charger is a boat, a boat that has a designI do not prefer over the Avenger's. The Avenger is more sporty and has more functionablitity. By the way, you get less in a Charger at the same price, so really the Avenger is cheaper.

Changed my mind. Give me a black RT...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

HA Go look at one in person and test drive one, like I did today. Sealed the deal for me. I want one bad.

So the Avenger is heavier with AWD. Big deal, it's only about 2 of me heavier. AWD is not a bad thing, if it is to someone, then they can get FWD. The Avenger is only 85 pounds heavier without AWD...

The Grand Prix almost isn't even mid-size, I'm buying a mid-size sedan, not a boat...

It doesn't have as many horses as it's competitors. Sure, that bothers me, it can be solved. Funny that the supercharged 3.8 only gets 25 more horsepower than the neutered 3.5. A few mods can get me to 260...

But for the price, look, style, comfort, functionabilityand feel. I wouldn't go anywhere else for a mid-size car. Honestly, I'm not seeing how the GT would be better, or why I should buy a Charger. The Charger is a boat, a boat that has a designI do not prefer over the Avenger's. The Avenger is more sporty and has more functionablitity. By the way, you get less in a Charger at the same price, so really the Avenger is cheaper.
Actually Chase, I havent been able to findan Avenger R/T in myarea to havetest driven one. However, I have found several of the equivalent in the Sebring Sedan...and I wasnt impressed. Not just because I couldnt get a manual, but because it really didnt feel any faster then my Stratus coupe. The Avenger is a very good looking car. I think it's really a step up as far as looks, but again it's still lacking in the performance area. Even the interior is better, which I was happy to see.

As for the Grand Prix being a mid-size...well you could label it a hybrid...as it fits both categories...although you can call it a full size and I wouldnt argue it. However, there's a total of 8in difference between the Avenger and Grand Prix.....and I can tell you for a fact owning a GP, that it really doesnt feel much different. Both cars handle pretty well and both are enjoyable to drive.

Let's not start talking mods, because that's where I think the Avenger will suffer when compared to the GP....much like the previous Stratus and Avenger's did....

Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I don't want 400 hp... Just a little more than 235... And when I say that can be addressed, I mean you never know it the 3.5 will get a hp bump or if they will offer a different engine.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I don't want 400 hp... Just a little more than 225... And when I say that can be addressed, I mean you never know it the 3.5 will get a hp bump or if they will offer a different engine.
Very true, and the SRT option is still a very viable option. So it can happen. I'm basing my comments solely on what's currently available. Not to mention, I doubt the 3.5L gets a HP bump...as it is the same motor in the LX cars and it's been deneutered on purpose. The SRT option would be most likely limited in production too...

The kit I'm looking at for my car right now.....$1800....and it would get me an addition 75whp.....

Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I like them a lot. I can get past the weight and HP issue. As long as motor can be modified to gain more HP, then the weight issue gets put onto the backburner...as long as the power can pull the weight effortlessly (assuming everything that came in the car stays..i.e. spare tire), I'm sure that is the ultimate goal for most folks that modify their cars for power...it is for me, lol.
I have to agree with DR though. Out of the box, it seems that DCX just isn't trying to up the ante with it's cars enough to get a wider spectrum of buyers. They are great looking cars, IMO, but I just don't understand what they are thinking sometimes. I hope the Challenger will spark a lot of interest to Dodge but at the same time, I hope it doesn't. If it does, DCX may just get too content on it and think that the Challenger can pull the weight. If it doesn't, DCX may try harder with it's other cars (without giving up on the Challenger though). Of course both can go in the other direction too.

I don't want 400 hp... Just a little more than 225... And when I say that can be addressed, I mean you never know it the 3.5 will get a hp bump or if they will offer a different engine.
I laugh at this Chase because, I often tell myself that, but for some reason, I keep finding things that make my car go faster, lol. It's no longer a hobby, it's addiction!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 AM
n1vek

I really do like the new Avenger. I will be looking to buy one in a year or two. I am certainly going with the AWD option, black.

Hopefully there will be some aftermarket support for this thing. I currently am sharing a Caliber R/T with my brother. CVT = teh lag
Will be looking for some more pep and also a car that can grow with me.
Or maybe a lot of pep in an SRT4? Screw kids and a family, I need some boost in my life.
Tough choices, but for now, it's hittin the books so I can make "that paper" when I graduate.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Screw kids and a family, I need some boost in my life.
CLASSIC! HAHA!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I gotta address the Avenger RT vs Charger SXT situation...

Winner in bold

Avenger RT FWD--235 hp /3,568 lbs /lbs per horse: 15.18 /starting price of $23,545
Charger SXT RWD-- 250 hp /3,820 lbs /lbs per horse: 15.28 / starting price of $26,580

Why would I want a Charger SXT over the better looking Avenger RT; when the Avenger is cheaper by $3,000, lighter by 252 lbsand probably faster with it's better lbs/hp ratio and 6-speed autostick?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I think it will fly look at its specs but will die becuase of its looks. Its between a SUV and a Van. I got behind one the other day with my veng and I didn't know it was a New veng till my moms pointed out the name. Its looks like a longer version of the Mazda RX-8 but the Dodge front. YEAH look at the side view and stop were the front door and fender meet and look back its looks like a RX8 but with and extra door.

Quick Reply: new avenger