1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Discussion thread

This is the discussion thread. I will lock the Build thread to keep all the posts in order. So this one can be talked about and take comments or suggestions.

Here is the Build thread of the swap. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2433694

This is my Solid Axle Swap (SAS). After killing the front axle with 33in tires and a strong V8 5.9 Magnum. I got a Dana 44 driver side drop from a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Like this one.

I pulled the axle compete with brakes, leaf springs, steering linkages, shock mounts from my local U-Pull It for $180.00. The axle has full time hubs, I will upgrade to manual locking hubs sometime in the future, very easy to do. It has 6x5.5 lug pattern (Very Common).

The plan is to do this swap with the least amount of welding. I have some ¼in 2.5x3.5 angle iron. I will bolt that up to the frame and mount up the spring hangers below it, and weld in some gussets. I will have the hangers and perches and various other brackets made by a local HD Spring shop.

I ordered 4.11:1 gear ratios for the new front axle and my rear Chry 8.25 (With No-Slip Locker). I ordered from www.ringpinion.com USA Standard gears. They are to be a little noisy but with the 33 Muds I will always have some road noises.

It all started by the removal of the axle from its donor Jeep. Then comes the clean up, the engine dripped oil all over the axle. After tons of wire brush cleaning and tons of quarters at the car wash it was all clean. Then disassembly and install the new gears.
Then the disassembly of the stock 4wd components. And the cutting of all the stock mounting brackets. I used a cut off wheel and a Sawzall. When I have more time I will grind down all the welds from the brackets.

I have 2 ProComp RockCrawler Black steel wheels that I put on the rear, I had slicks mounted on them for the dragstrip. I ordered 2 of the same kind for the front with the correct bolt pattern. I also ordered some Wheel Adapters to convert the Dakota 6x4.5 to 6x5.5, so I could use a 6x5.5 spare tire all around.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-01-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
CentralTexas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like one nice swap. No more CV half shafts. Do you think you’ll have any turning radius issues or handling issues compared to the stock front diff? I don't think you'll blow that one out.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you doing this for lift or are you keeping the same height...i was thinking about this with a gm setup on mine but making the front end more heavy duty and using a possible gm setup...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

It think this swap will improve the turning radius handling (Compared to lifted keys fully cranked up). Surprisingly the CV half shafts never gave me any problems, only dry boots due to being in the desert. The case failed before the CV's or axle shafts or ring and pinion could fail.

My main reason for this swap is for the increased strength of the front axle, and to gain more articulation. Before I only had maybe 1/4 to 1/2in of downward travel. The bump stops were distorted and the frame was bending bad at that spot due to bottoming it out.

I will lift it up, but hopefully no more than 2-3in above what I had. To tall and it looks too Redneck/Ghetto.

I'm worried about the drive-shaft, it could be expensive and who knows when I could afford it if it is too high.

My guess a few weeks if I'm lucky. Most likely 1-2 months to fully complete.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-01-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic but I had to tell ya......Beside my easy chair I keep a small basket of magazines. Well long story short my wife told me I had to clean out the basket, which I hadn't gone through in a while. So I pulled an old 4 wheel drive and Offroad out of the pile and headed to the "library". Low and behold there in the Readers Rides section is your truck! You lucky punk!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

LOL! Ya thanks. I think it makes it 4 times I've been in magazines. When I'm done with the SAS I will try to get into the magazines again.

As an update I got my brackets made and try to start tomorrow or Sunday mounting up the leaf springs. My rims were suppose to be here on Thursday but not yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Quick test fit of the front axle.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang Crazy, you jumped right in to it!

Was making that first cut as nerve wracking for you as it was for me?!?! I remember thinking that was the point of no return!

Also, you're making me dying to get back into mine. I want to see mine finished so we can compare notes on the completed projects!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Dang Crazy, you jumped right in to it!

Was making that first cut as nerve wracking for you as it was for me?!?! I remember thinking that was the point of no return!

Also, you're making me dying to get back into mine. I want to see mine finished so we can compare notes on the completed projects!!
LOL! It took me 2 weeks to start since I killed my front axle. It's been 2 weeks or so since starting the tare down.

The first cut was fun/joyful. The first cut was the bracket right below the pitman arm. I HATED that bracket. It was always in the way when changing the pitman arm. I went through so many, thank God for autozone lifetime warranty. I put the saw blade to it and said F-You bracket. I really did! LOL!

LOL! I must of read yours as well as the others in the FAQ 100 times.

Here is my teaser picture. All the brackets mounted up and truck sitting on its own weight. I need to relocate one of the bolts on the passenger side front mount.

Now the front sits higher then the front 3.5in by measuring the fender well. I will do the rear shackle flip and a lift shackle. How much did that raise you rear Brian? I will read it again after work. I can easily fit 37's up front.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-10-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, its amazing what you can do with the pitman arm without that bracket!!

I don't know how high it lifted the rear, I don't really have a before/after measurement, but I can measure how high it sits right now if you want me to. Just tell me from where to where you want me to measure it.

Also, have you decided what to use for a pitman arm since our trucks have a rod end in them from the factory, and you need one with a hole in it for the new steering system??? I don't remember if I wrote that up or not.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Discussion thread