2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

reliability issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 AM
William Chaple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliability issue?

Hey guys i used to have a dakota at 90k miles, sold it, and now want a dakota again ha ha! Anyhow, I was wondering which dakota is most likely be able to go to 250k miles on engine and tranny. I mean eventually I wont mind getting a rebuild, but hoping to get a strong dakota, which many people say they are. just need some opinions.

some dakotas ive been looking at are about 150k - 190k range and since I drive about 6,000 miles a year highway miles), it will take me quite a while to hit 200k. I dont mind fixing the small things, but hoping I can avoid engine rebuild or tranny rebuild any time soon.

ive been told 2nd gens have been super reliable on engine and tranny.

but what is your guys recommendations. Should I still go for dakotas? again I only plan to drive it 6,000 miles a year, so wear and tear probably wont happen frequent to me

Old 08-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

More than anything, it's the care that went into a truck which will determine how long it will last. That said, I'd try to get 2003-2004 with full tow package, but one that hardly towed. The 4.7L is very reliable, so long as it isn't overheated. You'll have disk brakes for one. The tow package comes with heavy duty cooling, which includes larger radiator and large transmission cooler up front. This means the tranny should have seen better cooling over it's life. Mine has been stellar. They're all reliable if you ask me but I'd want the 545 RFE tranny. If you don't need 4x4, get the rwd. That will be one less thing to fail.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Bent Wrench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If you don't need 4x4, get the rwd. That will be one less thing to fail."

And a couple miles per gallon.

Posi rear is all you need for getting around.

Quick Reply: reliability issue?