2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Towing Package on '01 DD 4WD w/5-speed Manual Trans??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 AM
NRzDwNUSqQ0GX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Package on '01 DD 4WD w/5-speed Manual Trans??

Hey all:

I'm looking at purchasing a second DD. The "potential" is a '01 w/5-speed transmission, 4.7L & 4WD. The seller indicates the truck does not have a "Towing Package," adding that it's not needed (or even an option) on the 5-speed manual transmission. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd say "bull."

I have the tow package on my '00 with a 5 speed. It includes the heavy duty service group, 136 amp alternator, a 750 amp hour battery, and max engine cooling. It also has the trailer tow group. That includes a receiver style hitch with 7 pin power plug (and the adapter) and came with a kit to add an electric brake (plug) under the dash. All the wiring is OEM.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:45 AM
NRzDwNUSqQ0GX
Rookie
Default Maybe not the '01 after all...

00DakDan,

Thanks for the post.

First thing, I am considering another second DD: '04 with 4.7L and 5-speed manual transmission. Based on your comment, 00DakDan, I'm thinking the DD I referenced in my original post doesn't actually have the Towing Package, even though the seller did tow with it. (That seller said that it does not have the second radiator (that's what I call it), which I think is part of any Towing Package.)

In any event, I did get a chance to both look at and drive this second '04 Dodge Dakota yesterday. In looking at it, I noticed it has a "second" radiator, as does my '01. So that tells me that it is designed for towing. Additionally, it has the 7-pin trailer connector and Class III hitch (I think that's what the seller indicated). Both look OEM to me, but I can't be sure. Further, the seller says they have towed with the truck...apparently some rather heavy material, so heavy in fact, that he was unable to back it up a rather steep hill. (I'm hopeful it was simply the case that the seller really overloaded the trailer, that the hill was really steep and that Reverse simply isn't designed for that kind of activity.)

In any event, thanks again, 00DakDan, for your comment. This '04 is looking much more likely; drove nice and body is in outstanding condition, as is the interior.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Second radiator?

Get the VIN and pull up a build sheet. It'll tell you what the truck came with originally.

Here's a link to get the build sheet: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ur-dakota.html

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Second radiator?

Get the VIN and pull up a build sheet. It'll tell you what the truck came with originally.

Here's a link to get the build sheet: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ur-dakota.html

Good luck.
I think the OP is referencing the external power steering and/or transmission coolers

Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 AM
NRzDwNUSqQ0GX
Rookie

"I think the OP is referencing the external power steering and/or transmission coolers."

@ magnethead: Indeed. Just couldn't pull out the proper phrase; thanks.

@ 00DakDan: Thanks for that information regarding the "build sheet." I've made my request. I actually saw someone who was selling another DD had posted (what I now realize was) the "build sheet" for their truck. It's somewhat cryptic, at least to me. A bunch of government-style three-and-four-letter names followed by "descriptions" -- some understandable and some not so much. Is there a "cheat sheet" for these names?

Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Look up "Dodge Dakota RPO codes" on google. Between the top few sources, should be able to narrow them down.

The term "RPO" is actually a GM term but has become ambiguous to mean "option code". It means "Regular Production Option"

Quick Reply: Towing Package on '01 DD 4WD w/5-speed Manual Trans??