2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

stalling out after 20-30 mins drive time need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Angelina Carriaga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling out after 20-30 mins drive time need help

Hello, I have a 2000 dakota 4.7 v8 it started stalling out two days ago. will run for about 20-30 mins then putters out an won't start again for hours. I ran sea foam through it thinking maybe it was fuel issue but that made no difference. I have to fix this by myself an seriously need input please. Also I have no clue where the ignition module is if y'all think that might be it . Thank you for reading this an I hope someone will help me .

Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Need to find out what's missing when it won't start, fuel, or spark.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Angelina Carriaga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how , I didn't smell gas when it puttered out and it doesn't have wires on the plugs . I don't know how to check for spark on this kind of engine. My check engine light doesn't come on when it kills out either.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Does the check engine light come on after the engine dies? Any of the gauges still working?

If the light isn't on, cycle the ignition. (turn it off, count to ten, turn it back to on, not start) Is the CEL on? Will it start? If the light doesn't come on, and the truck won't start, but, WILL start when the light DOES start working again, I would seriously suspect a failed computer.....

Something is getting hot, and failing. Might try and see if any codes are present..... (go to your local parts store, they should read 'em for free.)