2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

what are some common problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM
Topher5150
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are some common problems

I've been debating for a while now about getting rid of my Xterra, and getting something in the same size, but a truck....and not so Japanese. I really want a crew cab, something from the early to mid 2000s, Engine/drive train doesn't really matter to me...haven't made up my mind yet. I was wondering what common problems are there on these trucks, what to look out for, and overall, when it comes time to work on them is it going to be pretty easy to work on?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Topher5150
I've been debating for a while now about getting rid of my Xterra, and getting something in the same size, but a truck....and not so Japanese. I really want a crew cab, something from the early to mid 2000s, Engine/drive train doesn't really matter to me...haven't made up my mind yet. I was wondering what common problems are there on these trucks, what to look out for, and overall, when it comes time to work on them is it going to be pretty easy to work on?
Get 2003 - 2004 Dakota quad cab with tow package. The > 2004 form factor may not be so appealing to the eyes. 2003 - 2004 has rear disc brakes, vs drums for earlier trucks. Also the front calipers of the earlier trucks have issues with the slide rail wearing down. I say get one with dealer tow pkg because it will come with a transmission cooler up front, which means the tranny has been kept cooler throughout it's life. Also, the 545RFE tranny found on these trucks is very stout. Now as far as issues with the 03-05, most common will be the worn out riveted in ball joints. Once you change those, you will feel much better. Also, make sure the 4.7 is/was not overheating as the heads warp easier than the older motors. Other than that, it's a very stout motor. Mine is approaching 300K and running perfectly with plenty of compression.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Topher5150
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's good to hear thanks. I was surfing CL and a lot of them had had pretty low miles for not that much money.