DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota general discussion (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-general-discussion-151/)
-   -   99 fuel inlet update (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-general-discussion/418231-99-fuel-inlet-update.html)

Richhouse 09-25-2018 01:09 PM

99 fuel inlet update

Still having problems finding the fuel filler tube for my 99 Dakota. Mine has the quick disconnect on both the fuel and fuel vapor lines where they attach to the tank. I posted photos on my 'album'. I would like to find an exploded view with some part numbers, even though Dodge says that the part is no longer available. None of the aftermarket stores that I have seen online have the right part, and all I get from the local part stores is "Wow, I've never seen that before." If I can trust the Dodge parts man, the part was only used on 97-99 Dakotas. Which also leads me to ask, "Why would Dodge put a quick disconnect on a fuel filler tube to begin with? Were they expecting the fuel tank to be dropped often?" The original part is from Chrysler Corp. as seen by the embossed logo on the part (see photos). How many Dakotas was this put on, and why does no one carry it as a replacement part???

HeyYou 09-25-2018 02:44 PM

Is your truck federal, or california emissions?

Richhouse 09-25-2018 05:09 PM

It appears to be Federal. Nothing on any of the stickers says anything about California, plus the original dealer window sticker (which I found in a pouch with the owners manual) shows that the truck was shipped from the factory to Tinley Park, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago). I live in Northwest Indiana.

HeyYou 09-26-2018 09:15 AM

Yeah, that would be federal emissions.

I see that the stock parts WITHOUT the quick connects are still readily available. Wonder if you could just switch to that style..... Might be easier. :D

Richhouse 09-26-2018 02:27 PM

I'm thinking that that may be my only We shall see. Any idea what size the tank nipple is (diameter)?

HeyYou 09-26-2018 03:09 PM

No clue. :) Measure it?

Richhouse 09-26-2018 03:41 PM

I may have a lead on a part thru OEMMopar.Parts.com They list two part numbers 52102487AA and 52102573AA. The latter is NLA. I'm willing to wager that mine is the latter. I sent them an inquiry as to which might have the quick disconnect. The tank nipple on mine is around 1 5/16". I'll update later when I find out.

Richhouse 09-27-2018 08:50 PM

Well, back to the saga of the fuel filer. I received confirmation that the part on my truck is NLA.. I got some advise from a good friend of many years who knows far more than I do, and I've been working on my own vehicles for almost 50 years, and showed him the parts that I have. The small black ring (see photos) that I thought should have an o-ring on it, he thought might be just a spacer, but he gave me a couple of o-rings that might fit if needed. He suggested assembling the filler with the ring as a spacer in the disconnect and trying it like that. I did. Since I had used up all my wheel bearing grease, I used Vaseline to lightly coat the parts, especially the locking balls on the disconnect. I placed the plastic ring into the disconnect and connected the filler to the tank (a very firm push) and poured a about a pint of gas into the filler (while it was on the ground). Presto! No leaks. The next step is to disconnect the filler, mount the fuel tank, and reinstall the filler. Hopefully, when I fill it up, there will be no leaks, and I can turn my attention to the next problem---no power to the radio on any of the 3 power (12+) lines, I have power at both sides of all fuses. I may jumper it temporarily and see if the radio works, and if so, hot wire it with an in line fuse.

Richhouse 09-30-2018 03:01 PM

Well, I reinstalled the tank and put some gas from my gas can in it, and no leaks at the filler! But when I turned the key on, I had gas dripping underneath. Unfortunately, back when the tank fell, the fuel line coming from the pump, which is a somewhat hard plastic (nylon?, vinyl?) tube got kinked and now it has gas spraying all over the top of the tank. Fortunately, O'Reill Auto Parts has a several types of repair kits. With luck, I'll have this puppy running before the snow flies.