2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Limited Slip Differential

ORIGINAL: Razorhorn

According to the dealer, I have the 9.25" and it is not LSD. The young man behind the counter could not answer any follow up questions, pretty much all he could do was read the computer, which is why I brought this up. I am not too confident in what he told me. I'm going to add the lubricant anyway.
If you use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, it's already got the limited slip modifiers in it. It won't hurt anything to have the stuff in there.

edak - You should have a metal tag under one of the diff cover bolts that says the ratio. I know my front axle stub shaft has a sticker wrapped around it saying that it is a 3.92 open diff, but the rear has no such marking. It's open too, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Razorhorn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Limited Slip Differential

Changed the diff oil this weekend in both the front and rear differentials. All told, it took 4 quarts and some change. I did not use the lubricant, so I have two bottles of it for free for anyone in the DFW area who needs some. Drop me a PM.

The front diff oil was pretty clean and really did not need to be changed. I don't think the ole boy who had the truck before me did much 4-wheeling. The rear oil, on the other hand, was used up and needed changing.

FWIW it's an 01 Dakota, 4.7L, with about 106,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential